Friday, May 26, 2023

Review: The Stolen Hours


Most of you will know that I’ve been reading Karen Swan books for a long, long time now. I was really impressed by the first book in her new historical fiction series, The Last Summer, which was published last year (review here). It was left on such a cliffhanger that I was desperate for the second book. The Stolen Hours focuses on another of the inhabitants of St. Kilda and gives some more details on what, exactly, happened on that last night on the island.

Here’s the book’s description:
A reluctant bride. A forbidden romance. An island full of secrets . . .
It’s the summer of 1929 and Mhairi MacKinnon is in need of a husband. As the eldest girl among nine children, her father has made it clear he can’t support her past the coming winter. On the small, Scottish island of St Kilda, her options are limited. But the MacKinnons’ neighbour, Donald, has a business acquaintance on distant Harris also in need of a spouse. A plan is hatched for Donald to chaperone Mhairi and make the introduction on his final crossing of the year, before the autumn seas close them off to the outside world.
Mhairi returns as an engaged woman who has lost her heart – but not to her fiancĂ©. In love with the wrong man yet knowing he can never be hers, she awaits the spring with growing dread, for the onset of calm waters will see her sent from home to become a stranger’s wife.
When word comes that St Kilda is to be evacuated, the lovers are granted a few months’ reprieve, enjoying a summer of stolen hours together. Only, those last days on St Kilda will also bring trauma and heartache for Mhairi and her friends, Effie and Flora. And when a dead body is later found on the abandoned isle, all three have reason enough to find themselves under the shadow of suspicion . . .
I wasn’t sure how Swan would start off this one. Would it be an immediate sequel, picking up exactly where book one left off? Would the cliffhanger from book one be resolved by the end of book two? It turns out the answer is no to both. I KNOW. I need answers. But I also really appreciate what Swan is doing. This is an ongoing saga and to know the full story, you have to have multiple stories. Instead of continuing where Effie’s story left off, Swan goes back in time and then moves forward to the evacuation once again but this time from Mhairi’s perspective. There were some overlapping stories where pieces from book one started to make a little more sense but there was a lot of new information as well so I wasn’t bored by any repetitive details.

I was, however, a little less…engaged? Maybe? In Mhairi’s story. I loved her, don’t get me wrong. But there were a ton of aspects about that time period that just drove me (and my modern sensibilities) bonkers. I tried to temper that because it’s not fair to put my beliefs and expectations onto characters whose lives are very, very different from my own. When I was able to tamp down my 2023 expectations, I was glad to get a glimpse of what life was/could have been like for women on St. Kilda at that time. I don’t think I would have dealt with it well for all kinds of reasons!

I want to be careful not to share too much about this story because I do think the series needs to be read in order plus there are revelations in this one that I want to keep quiet. Though I will say I did NOT see any of that coming and I wonder how much I may have missed in book one or if Swan cleverly hid some of these details. Whatever it was, it worked for me! I didn’t love some of it but I appreciated how it was all revealed.

I read The Stolen Hours in just a few days - quite the feat for a 400 page novel! I’ve really been enjoying Karen Swan’s journey into historical fiction and I’m desperate to know what actually happened when the residents of St. Kilda were about to be evacuated. I’ll take book three any day now, please!

*An egalley and an ARC were provided by the Canadian distributor, Publishers Group Canada in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!