Friday, May 5, 2023

Review: Jana Goes Wild


Farah Heron has become an auto-read author for me. Her adult rom coms are so freaking wonderful (I have yet to read her YA books!) so I was so very excited to read Jana Goes Wild. It was fun and real and I enjoyed reading it but it won’t crack the favourites list.

Here’s the book’s description:
Jana Suleiman has never really fit in—everyone always sees her as too aloof, too cool, too perfect. The one time she stepped out of her comfort zone she ended up with a broken heart and a baby on the way. Aaaand lesson learned . Now she’s a bridesmaid for a destination wedding in Serengeti National Park, and almost everyone she knows will be there. Her five-year-old daughter. Her mom. Her friends. Even her potential new boss. And of course (because who doesn’t love surprises!) her gorgeous-but-not-to-be-trusted ex.
Fortunately, Anil Malek is a great dad, even if Jana hasn’t quite forgiven him for lying to her all those years ago. Determined to show he has no effect on her whatsoever, she and the bridesmaids concoct a go-wild list to get Jana through the week. Sing karaoke? Sure. Perform their high school dance routine in front of strangers? Okay. But the more she lets down her guard, the less protection she has against her attraction to Anil. And Jana soon realizes it’s one thing to walk on the wild side . . . and quite another to fall for her ex all over again.
Because I love Heron’s books so much, I didn’t even read the description before requesting the egalley. I also didn’t read it before starting it. The latter was a bit of a mistake. I hadn’t realized this was going to be a romance featuring parents and that’s a storyline that just does not work for me. It’s totally and completely a personal thing so if I do end up reading a book by an author I love, I try to prepare myself before diving in. And because I didn’t, I think it was even harder to get into the story. That said, I recognize how fantastic it is to get rom coms that feature parents. They deserve love too. I just don’t want to be a parent and my bias gets in the way sometimes.

I also don’t know if it was my silly brain or the fact that I wasn’t able to really tuck into the book for long chunks of time but it took me awhile to get into this one. I found it pretty long and even though I remembered Jana from Kamila Knows Best, I wasn’t really getting the Main Character Energy from her. I cared about her, don’t get me wrong, and I was totally rooting for a Happily Ever After for her and Anil. But it was a struggle to get really invested. Her issues seemed to be so very much in her head. They weren’t totally unwarranted, of course. Anil hurt her immensely and those around her were total assholes when she was pregnant with their daughter. I also think she had some anxiety that wasn’t ever addressed in the story - it was just sort of dealt with by saying she was an introvert and couldn’t “people” too much. I think it was more than just simply being an introvert. She refused to let go of the (again, justified) hurt even though Anil had gone above and beyond to prove that he regretted his mistake. I also think she thought people talked about her far more than they actually did. It seemed like she was self-centred but it was her past trauma and her anxiety that was making her come across that way. It all just didn’t really work (for me) for the tension and the issues that needed to be created for a rom com.

Getting to “travel” to Tanzania was super cool. I don’t think I’ll ever do a safari so I appreciated getting to experience it through reading this book. I also appreciated that Jana and Anil both worked in development and cared about making a difference and were conscious of their (and the wedding party’s) tourism and both the positive and negative impacts of it. That all said…holy man, the escapades in Tanzania really seemed to drag. I lost track of time and it felt like they were there for a month or more.

The best parts of the story were when the whole “hashtag Bridal Brigade” were together. I felt a bit bad because I am also an introvert and preferring some of the more vivacious characters to Jana felt incredibly disloyal (but omg when she was talking to someone and said, quite derisively, “you people” meaning extroverts, let me tell you, I cackled!). Heron writes relationships - both romantic and friendship - so extremely well and it was the friendship relationships in this one that shone. (Again, as much as I wanted an HEA for Jana and Anil.)

I know it likely seems like I really, really didn’t like this book. But honestly, I didn’t dislike it. I did have fun reading Jana Goes Wild but I think my expectations for Farah Heron are so high that I just expected more from it. I’ll absolutely keep reading Heron’s books and am already looking forward to what she writes next.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!