Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Review: The Poisoner’s Ring


I was very late to the Kelley Armstrong game, having only read my first book by her in 2020 - a whopping 19 years after her first published book. Since then, I’ve devoured her Rockton series and have been thoroughly enjoying her latest series which began with A Rip Through Time, published last year. (Review here.) The Poisoner’s Ring is the next book in that series and just published this week. I was so glad to be back with Mallory, Gray, Isla, and McCreadie and, dare I say it, I think I liked this one more than the first!

Here’s the book’s description:
Edinburgh, 1869: Modern-day homicide detective Mallory Atkinson is adjusting to her new life in Victorian Scotland. Her employers know she’s not housemaid Catriona Mitchell―even though Mallory is in Catriona’s body―and Mallory is now officially an undertaker’s assistant. Dr. Duncan Gray moonlights as a medical examiner, and their latest case hits close to home. Men are dropping dead from a powerful poison, and all signs point to the grieving widows… the latest of which is Gray’s oldest sister.
Poison is said to be a woman’s weapon, though Mallory has to wonder if it’s as simple as that. But she must tread carefully. Every move the household makes is being watched, and who knows where the investigation will lead.
This is a mystery novel first, historical novel second. I think Armstrong recognized some of her missteps in book one and took pains to do more research to make the setting more believable and accurate. As a huge historical fiction reader, I appreciated that. But as a mystery reader, I cared a wee bit more about the whodunit. And by cared I mean I was totally addicted and had no idea how the case would be resolved. Armstrong had me guessing right to the end and I loved it.

I think I liked this one more than the first because Mallory was already in the past and wasn’t actively trying to get back to the present. Oh, she wants to return home, of course. But she does enjoy her new life, even with all the weirdness. I was able to get to know the characters and the setting more in this book, rather than focusing on said weirdness that was how Mallory ended up in the past.

The novel was really fast-paced, as you’d expect from a mystery. I love how smart all the main characters are and yet never felt like an idiot for not picking up on the clues they were seeing. I am but a mere library staffer, not a homicide detective. Shouting about how great the library is is more up my alley than sniffing out clues to find out who murdered someone. But the point is, the clues are there and I was perfectly happy not understanding how they all worked together until the big reveal at the end. The resolution of the case was satisfying - though I wish the court of public opinion was kinder.

Kelley Armstrong’s latest book, The Poisoner’s Ring, was an entertaining read that kept me engaged from start to finish. It’s not perfect but it’s incredibly enjoyable and that makes it a win in my books. I’m really loving this series and cannot wait until the next book!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Minotaur Books, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!