Monday, August 22, 2022

Review: A Rip Through Time


I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned it before, but I was late to the Kelley Armstrong game. I knew who she was, of course (you can’t work in a bookstore and not know popular Canadian authors) but I had just never picked up her books - until the Rockton series. I loved that one so when I saw she was writing a new historical mystery series, I knew I wanted to check it out. A Rip Through Time is the first and it did its job - I REALLY need to read the next book!

Here’s the book’s description:
May 20, 2019: Homicide detective Mallory is in Edinburgh to be with her dying grandmother. While out on a jog one evening, Mallory hears a woman in distress. She’s drawn to an alley, where she is attacked and loses consciousness.
May 20, 1869: Housemaid Catriona Mitchell had been enjoying a half-day off, only to be discovered that night in a lane, where she’d been strangled and left for dead . . . exactly one-hundred-and-fifty years before Mallory was strangled in the same spot.
When Mallory wakes up in Catriona's body in 1869, she must put aside her shock and adjust quickly to the reality: life as a housemaid to an undertaker in Victorian Scotland. She soon discovers that her boss, Dr. Gray, also moonlights as a medical examiner and has just taken on an intriguing case, the strangulation of a young man, similar to the attack on herself. Her only hope is that catching the murderer can lead her back to her modern life . . . before it's too late.
This book wasn’t exactly the greatest literary work. The number of times Mallory’s “hands itched to grab her phone” was used made me want to throw my eReader out the damn window. The timeline may not have been as smooth as it should have been, and characters did things that didn’t always make sense. But, damn, if I don’t desperately want book two already! Armstrong wraps up the mystery in this book but leaves several dangling threads so you can’t help but want to know what happens next. And I thoroughly enjoyed my reading time (other than when Mallory wanted to check her phone All. The. Time.) so that is a win in my book.

I don’t read a lot of fantasy and definitely do not read much science fiction. Except when it comes to time travel - that’s the only sci-fi I can handle and I absolutely love it. I have no idea how accurate Armstrong was with 1869 Edinburgh, but it felt accurate enough. There was also the added twist of a modern-day character being thrust into the time while looking like someone from that time (how’s that for a mind-bender?). Not only was that a tricky thing for the character to figure out (HOW will she get home?) but having Mallory be the fish out of water allowed Armstrong to explain some historical things without it becoming an awkward info dump. Mallory is us, the reader, in this scenario and she can ask the questions we want to ask so we’re not left in the dark.

Given Edinburgh was my last big trip before the world shut down, I enjoyed the setting of this story. I didn’t get to explore much in my short trip but some of the streets Mallory mentioned were familiar. And it reminded me of how old the city is with so many modern additions. The charm and the long history of the city is everywhere, even now. Being able to “visit” the city in 1869 was a lot of fun and, no surprise here, I can’t wait to get back to visit Edinburgh in the future (but, like, not the future-future. I don’t need to time travel, thank you.)

A Rip Through Time was a really fun and thrilling read. I was drawn into Kelley Armstrong’s mystery and was rooting for Mallory to figure out the crime and get back to her own time (hey, I made a rhyme!). Enjoy this book for what it is - a sci-fi historical mystery caper - and you’ll have a great time reading it. Looking forward to book #2!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Minotaur Books/St. Martin's Press, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!