Monday, May 22, 2023

Review: Hazel Fine Sings Along


Many, many moons ago, I discovered a novel titled Arranged by a Canadian author by the name of Catherine McKenzie. I loved it. So very much. I continued to read everything McKenzie wrote, even when she started writing more thrillers, which, as you know, aren’t always my cup of tea. Imagine my immense delight when I find out that she was writing a rom com under the pseudonym Katie Wicks. Yippee! Hazel Fine Sings Along was published earlier this month and I really enjoyed it!

Here’s the book’s description:
When your voice is all that matters―sing loud.
As Hazel Fine steps out of her crummy hotel room into the bright LA sunshine, she knows she’s got one, and only one, chance. Her audition for the massive talent show, The Sing Along, could change her life forever. She has the skills, what she needs now is a bit of luck.
Soon Hazel finds herself alongside fifteen other contestants who all have the same superstardom. There’s the beautiful Hollywood golden child, Bella. The bright, bubbly country singer, Zoey. The extraordinarily handsome surfer/influencer, Benji. And Hazel, who has more to hide than her past. She’s got the chops, but can she handle the pressure without self-combusting?
Add in an undeniable attraction to the show’s talented yet brooding musical director, Nick, and the lecherous tactics of one of the judges, Hazel soon finds herself in over her head. But with her guitar strapped to her shoulder, she’s going to sing her heart out―and maybe open herself up to love at the same time. Who says you can’t have it all . . .
This novel is, at its core, a romance. I knew there would be a Happily Ever After (more about that later) but there’s so much more to this story than just will they-won’t they. Romances are so much better when they have some substance to them, which this one does. Maybe that could potentially be attributed to the thrillers that Wicks writes as McKenzie. They’re wildly different genres but I feel like a good story means more than just a love story or a suspenseful act etc. In this romance, there’s a thread of Me Too and how there are still issues within the entertainment industry. Wicks does a great job of showing all the nuances involved when someone comes forward with allegations of abuse and I thought it was quite well done and realistic.

The secondary characters in this book really help round out the story. I hadn’t realized how much I appreciated them until I listened to an online chat between Wicks and Romance by the Book last week. Wicks said that, while Bella is the “villain” in Hazel’s story, the whole narrative could have been flipped on its head and, if told from Bella’s point of view, Hazel would be the villain and you’d be rooting for Bella the entire time. It was a really interesting way to put it and made me appreciate all the characters - and the way Wicks wrote them - so much more.

OK. I gotta mention the rabbit. I was thrilled to be introduced to Checkers the rabbit because I’m a rabbit owner myself. I know what it’s like to have a small, furry creature who loves to chew things and poop everywhere (truthfully, Tonks is very good about using her litter box but she’s an old girl now and sometimes I find myself asking her, “Why is there a poop over here?”). I know how to care for a rabbit. So, I was very concerned for Checkers on a number of occasions and, honestly, don’t know if the poor guy would have survived. Is it dumb that this affected me so much that I was almost shouting at the book for Hazel to do something differently? Perhaps. I was rooting for Hazel but I was also very much Team Checkers!

I don’t watch singing competitions but I really enjoyed that part of the story (which is good because it’s a huge part of the book!). It added the drama needed for the book instead of forcing drama between the love interests that doesn’t need to be there.

Now, about those love interests! Nick was very swoon-worthy and it took awhile for Hazel to realize that and that, duh, he totally has feelings for her. She had trouble reading him, not because she didn’t understand him, I don’t think, but because he was keeping himself very guarded. As was she. She had a big secret and wasn’t looking to open herself up to scrutiny. That makes it hard to get a relationship started, especially when the plan was to win a singing competition, not get a boyfriend. The tension between the two was delightful and I was rooting for them to end up together every step of the way. I absolutely love how Wicks wrapped up their story.

Hazel Fine Sings Along was an immensely enjoyable rom com romp that is a must read for anyone who enjoys their romances with laughs and drama. This debut from Katie Wicks is a solid one and I cannot wait for her next!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Wattpad Books, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!