Monday, March 28, 2022

Review: The Honeybee Emeralds


I have to give a huge shoutout to my friend Heather from The Maritime Reader for putting The Honeybee Emeralds on my radar. I had been struggling with picking a new audiobook and she let me know that an advanced listening copy of Amy Tector’s novel was available to request on NetGalley. I am so, so, so glad she did because I loved this book. It had everything I like all rolled into one amazing package. Gah, so good!

Here’s the book’s description:
Alice Ahmadi has never been certain of where she belongs. When she discovers a famed emerald necklace while interning at a struggling Parisian magazine, she is plunged into a glittering world of diamonds and emeralds, courtesans and spies, and the long-buried secrets surrounding the necklace and its glamorous former owners.
When Alice realizes the mysterious Honeybee Emeralds could be her chance to save the magazine, she recruits her friends Lily and Daphne to form the “Fellowship of the Necklace.” Together, they set out to uncover the romantic history of the gems. Through diaries, letters, and investigations through the winding streets and iconic historic landmarks of Paris, the trio begins to unravel more than just the secrets of the necklace’s obsolete past. Along the way, Lily and Daphne’s relationships are challenged, tempered, and changed. Lily faces her long-standing attraction to a friend, who has achieved the writing success that eluded her. Daphne confronts her failing relationship with her husband, while also facing simmering problems in her friendship with Lily. And, at last, Alice finds her place in the world—although one mystery still remains: how did the Honeybee Emeralds go from the neck of American singer Josephine Baker during the Roaring Twenties to the basement of a Parisian magazine?
I mentioned at the top that this story had everything I like. There was a mystery, a historical element, and a hint of romance. And the fact that the mystery surrounded a piece of artwork (because, yes, the craftsmanship of the necklace made it a work of art)? Oh, yes. I was into it. And even with all of that going on, the story worked! I felt that Tector handled each thread masterfully and I never felt like there was too much stuffed into one story.

The story is told from multiple perspectives, which I loved. Alice, Lily, and Daphne all have chapters of their own. There are a few historical sections as well that help explain the necklace’s background without giving too much away too soon. And sometimes the reader gets in the head of the magazine’s long time office manager, too. (I can’t, for the life of me, remember her name and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to spell it properly anyway. *face palm*) Each woman is so very different but they manage to connect with each other and learn from one another.

The narrator, Lameece Issaq, was great. I was a bit put off by some of her accents but eventually I got over it (and it’s possible that some of the issues were because I was listening to this audiobook at 2x speed which can distort things a little). There was the odd time I felt like she hadn’t quite come out of one accent before going into another when characters were speaking to each other. But there were a lot of accents to master – Alice was from Yorkshire, Daphne, Lily, and Jacob were American (thankfully without strong accents), Luc and the office manager were French, and Alexander was Icelandic. But Issaq’s voice while reading the rest of the story, dialogue aside, was a delight and I probably could have listened to her all day.

Both Heather and I love reading Canadian authors so that’s part of what drew us to this book. The story may not be set in our fine country but I’m here for supporting Canadian authors, especially ones I may not have heard of before. And now that I have read Tector’s work? I cannot wait for her next book.

I wouldn’t really know where to begin if asked to describe The Honeybee Emeralds. But I would say that I highly recommend Amy Tector’s novel. I enjoyed every second of it and it is, so far, on my list of top three favourite books of 2022!

*An advanced audio listening copy was provided by the publisher, Dreamscape Media, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!