Friday, March 4, 2022

Review: An Heiress’s Guide to Deception and Desire


I didn’t love Manda Collins’ first Lady’s Guide novel, A Lady's Guide to Mischief and Mayhem (review here) but I enjoyed it enough to want to read book two, An Heiress’s Guide to Deception and Desire. I was rewarded with a second book that I definitely liked more than the first and has me much more excited for the third – whenever it comes!

Here’s the book’s description:
England, 1867 : As half of the writing duo behind England's most infamous crime column, Miss Caroline Hardcastle has quite the scandalous reputation. It may have cost her a fiancé, but she would much rather bring attention to crimes against those ignored by society than worry about what the ton thinks of her.
After Caro's dear friend is kidnapped, however, she has no choice but to work with Lord Valentine Thorn, the same man who broke her heart. Worse, when her actions put her father's business at risk, a marriage of convenience may be her only solution . . . but can she trust Val to stand by her? Or will their past repeat itself?
Val--the new Viscount Wrackham--is in an untenable position: His father is demanding he find a respectable bride to secure the succession. Yet the only woman he's ever loved, Miss Caroline Hardcastle, is notorious for behaving improperly. And she's never forgiven him for his youthful transgressions, missteps made in the name of familial duty, but ones he still regrets to this day.
As they grow closer to unmasking the culprit, Val sees an opportunity to show Caro he's a changed man. But can he convince her to give their love a second chance--before death does them part?
I hadn’t read much historical romance before 2020. I read lots of romance, of course, and tons of historical fiction. But I think I actually had a few misconceptions or biases towards the subgenre, which is ridiculous since I am a reader and proud supporter of all things romance. I’m glad I gave a few of them a try and am really enjoying the trend of historical rom coms that seem to be everywhere. I like when history and romance can combine into one story. I will say, though, that this one was heavier on the mystery and the romance than the history. You knew it was set in the past (1867, to be precise) as Collins kind of hits you over the head with the fact that women in this time didn’t have many rights and most men thought women were only good for their looks, for sex, and for keeping house. I’m all for feminism but some of the lines from the characters were a bit heavy handed, in my opinion.

I liked that Caro and Val had a history and were working their way back to each other – even though both of them were loath to admit they still had feelings for the other. I didn’t blame them. They were both hurt when their brief engagement had ended years before. They’re older and wiser now and Caro wasn’t about to take any BS from Val and he had realized where he had erred in the past. I was totally rooting for the two of them to get back together. And they did – with gusto! Nothing like a surprise fake engagement to spice up the party.

The mystery in this one was, I think, supposed to play a larger part but I have to say it was ultimately forgettable. I only read this book a month ago and I’m scratching my head wondering what actually happened and who did what. As more comes back to me, I’m reminded that I enjoyed that the mystery introduced some more small historical facts, particularly about classism and illegitimate children.

All in all, An Heiress’s Guide to Deception and Desire was a fun way to spend a few hours. I’ll be looking forward to the next book in Manda Collins’ series and hopefully it will be just as entertaining as this one.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!