Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Review: Magic Lessons


I feel like I've always known about the movie Practical Magic. It was released when I was 11 but it wasn't until I was much older that I learned it was based on a novel and it wasn't until three years ago that I finally read the book and watched the movie because I had read The Rules of Magic for Niagara Life magazine, which was the first Practical Magic prequel Alice Hoffman wrote. I loved it and enjoyed Practical Magic too. And the adaptation? Well, it was a good enough movie but as an adaptation it was lacking. My point? I was really, really, really excited when I heard there would be another prequel, this one going way back to the beginning of the Owens family. And Magic Lessons did not disappoint.

Here's the synopsis:

Where does the story of the Owens bloodline begin? With Maria Owens, in the 1600s, when she’s abandoned in a snowy field in rural England as a baby. Under the care of Hannah Owens, Maria learns about the “Unnamed Arts.” Hannah recognizes that Maria has a gift and she teaches the girl all she knows. It is here that she learns her first important lesson: Always love someone who will love you back. 

When Maria is abandoned by the man who has declared his love for her, she follows him to Salem, Massachusetts. Here she invokes the curse that will haunt her family. And it’s here that she learns the rules of magic and the lesson that she will carry with her for the rest of her life. Love is the only thing that matters.

Magic Lessons is a celebration of life and love and a showcase of Alice Hoffman’s masterful storytelling.

I read this book in one night. Partly because I forgot the file was going to expire the next day. (So many books to review, so little time.) But I think I would have binge read it anyway because the story is that addictive.  I was completely sucked into the origin story of the Owens women. I like learning the why and how behind families like this, especially since Hoffman had already given some insight in the last prequel.  

I'm also especially a fan of historical fiction that's about witches. I think I've always liked that kind of fantasy - I recall reading a historical fiction series aimed at teens and my favourite was about the Salem Witch Trials - and I don't read nearly enough of them. (Recommendations are welcome!) I think part of why I love it, when it's done well of course, is because it reads as if witches have always been around and it's usually such a subtle type of magic. Intellectually, I know magic can't exist but authors like Hoffman can make you suspend that belief and you'll find yourself wondering, well, maybe there are still witches around. I felt the same way when I read Deborah Harkness' All Souls Trilogy (and, no surprise, my favourite of that series was Shadow of Night where they go back in time to the 1500s). 

You don't have to read the other books in the Practical Magic series to enjoy this one. There are parallels drawn that will only make sense if you have but given I've read them out of order and it's been a few years since I have, you can dive into Magic Lessons this spooky season and still get an immense amount of enjoyment and satisfaction out of it. 

The characters in this novel are all so flawed but so enjoyable to read. It's like every one of them has a lesson (and not necessarily magical) to teach the reader without it coming across as preachy at all. Maria thought following her heart was the most important thing but she didn't consider the feelings of people she'd allowed to get close to her, who were warning her against her mission because they could clearly see it was not the right path to take. Faith was so intent on revenge that she didn't allow herself to examine the situation from someone else's point of view. 

I just have to say it: what the hell is up with this cover? I don't think I would be at all enticed to pick up this book based on the image. The colours work, I'll give it that, and the image does relate back to the story. But it's just...odd. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of faces on books? I also don't know if it really matters. Alice Hoffman's name will sell the book.

Magic Lessons was an absolutely wonderful read. Alice Hoffman is such a good storyteller and this origin story of the Owens women is written exceptionally well. I was sucked right into the story and was so sad when it was over. I definitely recommend reading this one - especially during the Fall season.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Simon & Schuster Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this too, and I agree with you about the cover, the Australian one is much nicer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!