Monday, October 5, 2020

Review: The One That Got Away

I always say I love a good second chance romance. Turns out Karina Halle has made me love a good fourth chance romance, too. The One That Got Away is her latest and I adored it. It was the perfect book to sink into over a sunny, last weekend of summer. I read it so quickly, as I always do with Halle's books, and then was so sad when it was over, like always with Halle's books. 

Here's the synopsis:

Ruby Turner was never meant to be mine.
When I first met her, she was a fresh, young, American sports journalist trying to find her footing in a new life abroad. She was the one interviewing me for an article, yet I wanted to know more about her. She captivated me.
But she went home with Marco that night.
My agent.
My brother.
And I did what I could to pretend I was fine with it.
After all, I’m Luciano Ribeiro. As the captain of Real Madrid, and Portugal’s National Team, it’s my job to be cool, calm, and collected, not easily rattled.
Only what I felt for Ruby over time, shook me to my very core.
It made me do things I never imagined I would do.
It started with a stolen kiss in the middle of the night.
It led to a passionate tryst.
It created a burden of guilt that I had to carry, as Ruby came in and out of my life until she left for good, leaving her mark on me.
Now, seven years later, she’s back.
She was the one that got away.
I don’t think I’ll let her go this time.
But I might not have a choice.
Because my heart still belongs to her.
And her heart might belong to my brother.

Halle has published two other (excellent!) novels this year but neither were particularly...heart-wrenching, I suppose is the right word for it. I mean "heart-wrenching" as a good thing, of course. I love that she can write lighter romances but also ones that are able to reach into you and rip your heart out. Before lovingly putting it back together. In this case, it was put back together with the most satisfying Happily Ever After I've read in awhile. I've read lots of good ones lately, of course, but there was something about this one that made me SO happy by the time they figured out what was best for them. (We all know that's not a spoiler, right? This is a romance, after all.)

If you're looking for a little armchair traveling during the pandemic, Halle has you covered. This book takes place in Portugal and should help your wanderlust, at least a little bit. I know Halle likes to set her books where she's actually traveled so I know she knows what she's talking about. 

I have to say...the only little thing that gets to me with Halle's books is how sometimes they're sometimes a wee bit too angsty. You read how the synopsis is written, right? Sometimes the story gets like that too and it's just...a lot. It never bothers me too much but sometimes I find myself skimming the internal dialogue of the characters because they're a bit...earnest.

I liked that Luciano was an athlete but wasn't super macho or alpha. He respected Ruby's choices - so much so that they weren't able to communicate as much as they should have. Instead of voicing his feelings, he shoved them aside because he didn't think he deserved romance and the happiness that can come from that. He was a good man with a past that's damaged him and he hasn't been able to heal from it. It was so great to read as he met Ruby and realized there was someone out there in the world who could understand him.

Ruby was a delight to read. She was so lost and unsure of where she wanted to go in life, which I could totally understand. I mean, I'm now in my 30s and still feel lost sometimes so I get how a twentysomething could feel. I liked that she figured out one part of her life and went after that dream - moving to Europe and working on her sports journalism career. She was so full of life and she and Luciano together brightened her already vibrant personality. It was so lovely. Their relationship was also off-the-charts steamy which was great to read too!

The One That Got Away is a must read for anyone looking for a story to escape into. Karina Halle's novel will get deep into your soul and Ruby and Luciano will stick with you for awhile. I can't wait for what she writes next (and it's looking like it's going to be a holiday anthology!). 

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the author via Valentine PR in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!