Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Review: The Whispers of War

 

You know that feeling when you read a new to you author and absolutely adore the book and are so excited because you know they have at least one other book in their backlist you can also enjoy? That happened to me way back in March (remember March?) when I read The Whispers of War by Julia Kelly. I had heard of her Light Over London (I love historical fiction so of course it had been on my radar) but hadn't read it so I jumped at the chance to review her new one, which came out in January of this year (I really don't remember January). And friends? It was so great.

Here's the synopsis:

In August of 1939, as Britain watches the headlines in fear of another devastating war with Germany, three childhood friends must choose between friendship or country. Erstwhile socialite Nora is determined to find her place in the Home Office’s Air Raid Precautions Department, matchmaker Hazel tries to mask two closely guarded secrets with irrepressible optimism, and German expat Marie worries that she and her family might face imprisonment in an internment camp if war is declared. When Germany invades Poland and tensions on the home front rise, Marie is labeled an enemy alien, and the three friends find themselves fighting together to keep her free at any cost.

Featuring Julia Kelly’s signature “intricate, tender, and convincing” (Publishers Weekly) prose, The Whispers of War is a moving and unforgettable tale of the power of friendship and womanhood in the midst of conflict.
I know what you might be thinking, though. Do we really need yet another WWII novel? Haven't we read all the things we could read about that period of time? No, as it turns out. At least, not for me (and remember, every reader is different). 

As is the in thing these days, this book has a dual timeline. Marie's granddaughter, Samantha, tells the story in present day while Marie, Nora, and Hazel each tell a portion of the past. In a way I'm kind of tired of all of the authors choosing to write stories in two time periods but what I really like about it is how it helps me relate to the story a teeny bit more. I don't know what it's like to live through WWII but I'm learning details about it right along with the character in present day. 

What set this book apart from some of the other WWII era books I've read was how much it centred on three female friends. Particularly three women who weren't in active duty. The friendship between Nora, Marie, and Hazel was so delightful to read - how they met and stuck together through some of the hardest years and experiences imaginable. The three of them were found family and they cared for each other deeply and fiercely. One can only hope one finds friends like that in their own lifetime (and I like to think that I have...you know who you are!).

The novel's story was especially interesting to me because it showed what the average woman was doing at the start of the war and how they managed their lives as the war began. Just as I love reading what it was like at home in Canada during the wars, I also appreciate learning what it could have been like for women in England. Not only were the men of London going off to fight but their city would, eventually, be targeted by bombings. They were physically closer to the action and may have felt like they could do more for the war effort than the women in North America.

Finally, I have to note that I was reading this book as the North America was falling apart because of COVID-19. I had been on a last minute vacation to Scotland and was supposed to start a new job on March 17 but couldn't because of said vacation (I started a week later, thank goodness). So, instead of working, I read and The Whispers of War was one of the books I picked up while I had to self-isolate (which was only recommended the week after I returned home and had already been out...it was a weird time). I knew it would be a comforting read but I didn't know how comforted I would be by it. I'm so pleased that I have such a fond memory of this book when everything was such an absolute shitshow.

The Whispers of War will be a historical fiction title I recommend for a long time to come. Though perhaps it might just be until Julia Kelly's next novel, The Last Garden in England, is released next year. I'm already so excited to read it.

*A copy of this novel was provided by the publisher, Simon & Schuster Canada, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!