Friday, September 4, 2020

Review: Sweet Mercy


A few months ago, K.A. Tucker, one of my favourite authors, bestowed a gift upon us during the pandemic. It turns out she's been secretly writing erotic novels under the name Nina West for a few years. WHAT!?! I immediately bought the four book set of the Wolf Hotel series and absolutely devoured all four in July. They're short, they're super steamy, and they were completely addictive. She's also working on the Dirty Empire series and, so far, I've read the first two, in anticipation of the next novel (Dirty Empire) coming out later this month. It was supposed to be the final one in the series but it's looking like a fourth book will be coming too! But this review is about the first book, Sweet Mercy. Buckle in, friends. It's going to be a sexy ride.

Here's the synopsis:

One visit to my father in prison—convicted for a murder he didn’t commit—and I’ve attracted the attention of the last man I’d ever want knowing that I exist.
Gabriel Easton.
Son of an infamous crime boss. Deplorable womanizer. Scoundrel to the core.
Worse, he has figured out how desperate I am to protect my father from brutality behind bars. He has the power to grant that protection, and he has offered it … for a price.
Me.
I am to become a “guest” in his mansion, to live with him until he tires of having me around.
I'll do anything for my father, including agree to Gabriel's cruel game. But I won't comply with his every whim and wish.
Not when he taunts me with that ruthless spark in his cold blue eyes.
Not when he requires that I share his bedroom at night.
Unfortunately for me, I think my loathing for him is what he’s enjoying most.
That's fine. By the time I’m through with him, he’ll be crying my name.
Mercy. 
This book does not fuck around. It is dark and it is erotic...aaaand it has a hero who I really struggled with. Gabriel was the kind of guy who thinks he's God's gift to women and he also has the added "bonus" (in his eyes) of being super rich but with dirty money that also ensures a whole lot of people are afraid of him. He just exuded this sense of entitlement, power, and disregard for any rules, even while West was trying to write that he and his brother did want to try to go legitimate with their nightclub. I struggle with super alpha males in any romance but especially when there's such a power imbalance between the hero and heroine. I tried to set it aside and just enjoy the story and that mostly worked but I knew I couldn't review the book without noting the toxicity in Gabriel and Mercy's "relationship."

Because this is a series, and I had already read West's other series, I had an idea that the first book would be mostly foreplay. There was a lot to set up as Gabriel and Mercy got to know each other plus Gabriel had to convince Mercy that he was her only hope to get her father out of prison. A lot had to happen before they could give into their lust for each other. But once they did? Holy fireworks, Batman. It's intense and even though Gabriel is a scoundrel, he is respectful in the bedroom and that, honestly, helped it be a lot sexier because I was still trying to accept him as a love interest. 

I think at one point I described the series as what Fifty Shades of Grey could have been. The bare bones premise of it is really similar and follows what Twilight set up. There's a controlling guy with a secret, who isn't innocent but does want to be at least a little bit better but also doesn't think he should be allowed to be better. Then there's a fairly naive female who has no real choice but to rely on the hero even though she does have her own mind. And then there's a bunch of sexy times - that are much, much better written (and just plain better) than anything James wrote. It's not the same story but the tropes are there.

I really liked Mercy and my heart broke for her as she was trying to deal with such terrible circumstances. I liked getting to know her and realizing how strong she was even in the midst of all the terribleness. She's the kind of character I would love to hang out with, have a drink with, and get to know better. That made up for being so hesitant about Gabriel.

Fans of erotic romance should probably check out Sweet Mercy by Nina West. Though, I'll probably recommend waiting until at least the third book is out because you're going to want to binge the hell out of these books. They get under your skin, let me tell you! Stay tuned for the review of book two, Gabriel Fallen, coming at you soon!

*A copy of this novel was provided by the author via Valentine PR in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!