Thursday, September 10, 2020

Review: Gabriel Fallen


Last week I shared my thoughts on Sweet Mercy, the first book in Nina West's Dirty Empire series (read the review here if you missed it). Gabriel Fallen is book two and is, if you can believe it, more intense than the first. It's just as angsty and sexy but now that the Mercy and Gabriel are getting to know each other better, stakes are higher and hearts are at risk. If you haven't read the first book, I'd suggest doing that and then coming back here for my thoughts on the second book - I don't want anything accidentally being spoiled for you!

Here's the synopsis:

Mercy Wheeler and Gabriel Easton’s sordid tale continues in Gabriel Fallen as Mercy finds herself heading down a dangerous path.

Gabriel has made an art of dangling what I’m most desperate for in front of me, what he knows I can’t refuse, no matter the cost. In this case, that cost continues to be me.

He is still a scoundrel, but I’m starting to see something more.

And while our bargain is proving advantageous in ways I never anticipated, the risks that come with being associated with a man like him are becoming painfully clear.

But how much longer before this arrangement with Gabriel costs me everything I am?

I mentioned in my review of Sweet Mercy that I wasn't a fan of Gabriel. He was far too controlling and, even though he treated Mercy with respect, he seemed to think everything should be handed to him, including Mercy. She has spunk and a spine, even in the face of the son of a very dangerous man, so she doesn't really allow him to walk all over her. That said, she has no real choice but to go along with his demands because he can help her father, who's in jail for murder even though he never meant to kill anyone. (You following?) You can tell, though, that he's starting to fall for Mercy and that is solidifying his feelings that he and his brother have got to get out of the family business. It's sort of like when the Grinch's heart grew three sizes if, you know, the Grinch was a very sexy young man whose father is an imprisoned mob boss.

Speaking of wanting to get out of the family business - I actually quite enjoyed that part of the story. It added an interesting layer to the drama as the reader (along with Gabriel and his brother, Caleb) doesn't really know who to trust. And making a mistake about who to trust? That kind of mistake can have permanent and fatal consequences. 

I have to say I'm so glad that I read these books so close to the publication date of book three (Dirty Empire releases on September 15) because OH MY GOD THE CLIFFHANGER. West's novels can be read as one big novel as each picks up directly where the other left off (at least, that's the experience thus far) and thank goodness because I am freaking the fuck out about what happened at the end. Just. WHAT??? Also - I was relying on the next book to wrap everything up (no idea if it'll be in a nice bow or if things will go completely off the rails) BUT this trilogy is now going to be a quartet. I don't know if my nerves can handle it.

Gabriel Fallen was just as addictive and steamy (oh so steamy) as Sweet Mercy and even though I'm still struggling with my thoughts on Gabriel, I'm completely into the story Nina West is telling and I cannot wait to read what's next in Dirty Empire

*A copy of this novel was provided by the author via Valentine PR in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!