Friday, January 22, 2021

Review: The Push


The Push is the buzziest book in Canada right now and it's making a big splash in the US, too. Ashley Audrain's debut novel secured her a multi-million dollar deal and it's been everywhere since it was published earlier this month. I'll say this: it is a story that has stuck with me since I finished it. 

Here's the synopsis:

Blythe Connor is determined that she will be the warm, comforting mother to her new baby Violet that she herself never had.
But in the thick of motherhood’s exhausting early days, Blythe becomes convinced that something is wrong with her daughter–she doesn’t behave like most children do.
Or is it all in Blythe’s head? Her husband, Fox, says she’s imagining things. The more Fox dismisses her fears, the more Blythe begins to question her own sanity, and the more we begin to question what Blythe is telling us about her life as well.
Then their son Sam is born–and with him, Blythe has the blissful connection she’d always imagined with her child. Even Violet seems to love her little brother. But when life as they know it is changed in an instant, the devastating fall-out forces Blythe to face the truth.
The Push is a tour de force you will read in a sitting, an utterly immersive novel that will challenge everything you think you know about motherhood, about what we owe our children, and what it feels like when women are not believed.
When I first agreed to review The Push it was months and months before the release and I didn't know anything about it. But, I thought, sure, I'd give the thriller a try. It wasn't until closer to the publication date that I realized how much it was going to be about motherhood. I had to work on my headspace before starting it because I don't tend to read books about mothers. I don't have kids, I don't want kids, and don't really understand why people want to be mothers. I'm happy for those who are, of course, I'm not completely heartless! But when it's a domestic thriller (something I've realized isn't my thriller of choice) and so focused on motherhood? I worried I wouldn't really get it. I think that worry was warranted because while I would say this is a pretty good book...I don't think I liked it? But I didn't dislike it. It's very conflicting.

Audrain keeps the tension high through most of the book. Buuut...I got lost with the flashbacks to Blythe's mother's life and her own childhood. I don't know if it added a whole lot to the story. She didn't have good maternal role models. Say that once and move on. 

I think the way Audrain ended the novel was so perfect. It's not tied up in a bow but it totally fits the rest of the book. And the way she led up to that point? You start thinking one thing but by the end? Nope. Your thinking was totally wrong. At least, mine was!

I didn't love The Push, I think that much is clear. But I think Ashley Audrain has written a debut novel that will make people talk for a long, long time. The story is a twisted one with surprises that no one can see coming. It's not an easy read but it's one that will keep you turning the pages until the very end.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Penguin Random House Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!