Friday, January 15, 2021

Review: Dirty Tactics

Dirty Tactics was a great romance to read during the summer months. It was sweet and a little sexy and perfect to read on the at home patio with a glass of wine. (Why yes, I was behind on reviews in 2020, why do you ask?) Emma Salah kicked off a new series with a pretty good first book that I enjoyed reading.

Here's the synopsis:

Two weeks.
A trial period, in which hockey superstar Zac Quinn will prove to Reagan Thomas—his best friend’s younger sister and the one woman he can’t seem to keep his hands off of—that they can’t possibly date for real.
After all, the Thomas family is the only family he’s ever had. He can’t risk losing them, no matter how much he wants Reagan. She’s too important to him; he can’t let things get weird.
But Reagan has known they’re meant to be since forever. She’s not about to back down now.
If she has to play dirty to bring him around?
No problem.

While this book was fun and entertaining, it wasn't one that blew me away. I kind of thought Zac and Reagan were being idiots when they were sneaking around and giving themselves some silly timeline to get each other out of their systems. Does anyone actually do that? (I know romance novels are not what you'd call realistic but this just seemed a bit much.) I so get that they'd be scared to mess up their friendship but why deny what's right in front of your face? You're attracted to each other and can't live without each other so get to dating!

I did really like the characters Salah wrote. They were a group I could see myself hanging out with and watching the game with a beer or three. I was totally invested in their story, even when they were annoying me, and I enjoyed picking up the breadcrumbs she was leaving for the next book in the series. I also loved how important family is to each of the characters. They have a solid bond even though they had some major pain in the past - Reagan's mom died when she was young and Zac had a really rough upbringing with an abusive dad. 

Speaking of watching the game - you could pick any sport and one of Reagan's siblings would be playing. She had brothers in the NHL, MLB, and NFL. I mean, I guess you can find families full of athletes but usually it's one sport. And how come she didn't pick up any sport? Let's promote women's sports, shall we? This wasn't exactly a sports romance though. Zac being in the NHL was just like any other profession and you didn't really get much hockey. And for the love of all things maple syrup, it's hockey. NOT "ice" hockey. I know there's field hockey that's very popular in places other than Canada and I know "ice hockey" is how it's referred to in the Olympics but when it's a romance that is based in the US and promoted to North American readers...drop the ice. We get it. End rant.

This title is part of the Carina Press Romance Promise: "all the romance you’re looking for with an HEA/HFN. It’s a promise!" Which I am SO here for. I read romances because I want a Happily Ever After (or For Now). I want to feel the joy the characters do when they realize they're meant to be together. So I appreciate Carina putting that promise on there because not every romance novel ties things up in neat little bows. There are times for those types of novels as well but sometimes you just HAVE to have a sweet story that ends super happily. 

As far as debut novels go, Emma Salah's was a good one. I was entertained by Dirty Tactics and am interested enough to keep reading the series, though I'm not sure I'll be rushing out to read the second book, whenever it's released. 

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Carina Press/Harlequin, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!