Thursday, November 23, 2023

Review: Asking for a Friend


I’ve read all of Kerry Clare’s novels and I’m always blown away by how great her writing is and how she tells a story. What’s tough is when I don’t particularly like the story. Then I’m left wondering: is it me? Is the book? Is it the way the book was marketed? These were questions I asked myself when I was reading Asking for a Friend, Clare’s latest which was published in September.

Here’s the book’s description:
The bottom of Jess’s world is falling out. Cocooned in her dorm in the winter of 1998, she’s reeling, and wants to be left alone. But a chance encounter with the older, otherworldly, elusive Clara has Jess awestruck. Clara, newly returned from a two-year trek drifting around the world, is taking a stab at normalcy for once, and the place she starts is university, where she struggles to fit in. Upon meeting Jess, though, Clara feels an instant connection, and everything seems brighter. Soon, the two are inseparable, undeniable necessities in each other’s lives. But when tragedy strikes, they are unceremoniously torn apart, sent tumbling down different paths. And with each passing day, their unbreakable bond is tested more and more.
As they endure love and heartbreak, marriage, anxiety and isolation, and the complicated existence of motherhood, Jess and Clara must learn how to love each other through it all—and whether growing up inevitably means growing apart.
Spanning two decades, Asking for a Friend follows the tempestuous journey of female friendship, exploring whether its fundamentals—history, familiarity, loyalty—are enough to make the relationship everlasting.
It took me a realllllly long time to finish this book. September was a hard month for me and nothing held my interest. That could be part of why this book didn’t thrill me. Another part may have been friends of mine who read it were not fans and weren’t quiet about it. But maybe I just straight up didn’t enjoy the book because it wasn’t the right fit for me.

I do believe the marketing department of the publishing house can shoulder some of the blame for how this book has been received. Because I’m not the only one who expected this book to be…different. We were told we’d get a novel about friendship. And we did but…it was an incredibly toxic friendship. Was it sometimes accurate when it addressed how friendships evolve over twenty years? Absolutely. But if Jess and Clara’s relationship was a romantic one, you can bet everyone would have been saying they needed to break up because their relationship was not at all healthy. Plus, the cover seems so celebratory and I didn’t find a whole lot of celebrating going on in the story.

I think this wasn’t a book for me, personally, because of how much of the story seemed to focus on the journey towards motherhood and raising children. I am not a mother. I do not want to be a mother. I know there needs to be procreation to have a civilization but I honestly sometimes wonder why anyone would give up their freedom to have kids. So, I just wasn’t expecting how much of the story would revolve around pregnancies, miscarriages, infertility, more pregnancies, more miscarriages, births, raising children, and yet more pregnancies. Important topics for some but not what I, personally, want to be reading in my novels.

I really, really wanted to love Asking for a Friend. I think Kerry Clare is so talented but this novel fell so short for me and I’m really sad about that. I know we can’t love every book we read but not loving this book really hurts.

*A finished copy of this novel was provided by Penguin Canada as part of their Penguin Reads program in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!