Friday, November 17, 2023

Review: Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Lord


I was so very intrigued by Celeste Connally’s novel Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Lord. This new mystery series is set during the Regency-era and I’ve been enjoying these fun, historical mystery series featuring female amateur sleuths. This one, though? Meh. I finished it but I was only mildly invested and if it had been a library book? I probably would have DNF-ed it.

Here’s the book’s description:
When Lady Petra Forsyth’s fiancĂ© and soulmate dies just weeks ahead of their wedding, she makes the shocking proclamation—in front of London’s loosest lips—that she will never remarry. A woman of independent means, Petra sees no reason to cede her wealth and freedom to any man now that the love of her life has passed, nor does she intend to become confined to her country home. Instead, she uses her title to gain access to elite spaces and enjoy the best of society without expectations.
But when ballroom gossip suggests that a longtime friend has died of “melancholia” while in the care of a questionable physician, Petra vows to use her status to dig deeper—uncovering a private asylum where men pay to have their wives and daughters locked away, or worse. Just as Lady Petra has reason to believe her friend is not dead, but a prisoner, her own headstrong actions and thirst for independence are used to put her own freedom in jeopardy.
This was the first book in the new Lady Petra Inquires series and also Connally’s first novel. Knowing it was the first in the series made it a little confusing when Petra referenced a number of past escapades on a number of occasions. As it was, I actually had to check a few times to make sure I was right and it WAS the first in a series. It was just so strange that she was mentioning these things that there was no way the reader would have experienced and it was weirdly difficult to let go of the annoyance.

I know historical fiction, romances especially, have a tendency to put our modern sensibilities onto characters who are living in the past. I can normally look past it and enjoy the story for the entertaining romp that it’s supposed to be. But with this one, I wasn’t really sure how I was supposed to be feeling about how progressive Petra was. Was I supposed to be impressed that Petra hated that women were treated like property? Shocked that she had no problem with her best friend’s husband being gay (don’t worry - both her friend and her husband took lovers and their marriage was an amiable, if not a sexual, one)? I was neither impressed nor shocked and maybe that was just because of how the story was written. Maybe it was I found Connally was trying to beat the reader over the head with how open-minded Petra was and I really don’t think that was necessary.

I really only kept reading to find out what had happened to Petra’s friend, Lady Milford, and to see if they could stop whoever it was from harming the women of the ton. And honestly? I think I was disappointed. The mystery had a lot of potential that I just don’t think it lived up to. That could potentially be because I was so deeply uncomfortable with the ultimate villain and the extreme gaslighting (and physical and other emotional abuse) happening. I just wanted it to be over and couldn’t relish Petra solving the case.

Finally, the relationship between Petra and Duncan was so…weird. I’m a big fan of friends to lovers so obviously I wanted them to get over whatever had pushed them apart three years prior and get together romantically. But...I couldn’t really figure out what on earth that incident was. And why they were both so stubborn about it and wanted to stay mad at each other instead of getting over it. The hostility of Petra especially was so confusing. Another thing I couldn't quite let go.

So, all in all, Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Lord was not a winner for me. I don’t think I’ll read the next Lady Petra Inquires book but I think I’d still be interested in reading another of Celeste Connally’s novels in the future.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Minotaur, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!