Monday, February 27, 2023

Review: The Little Wartime Library


Dangle a World War II set novel that features a bookstore or library in front of me and I am going to snap it up. We should all know that by now. So, it’s no surprise I was immediately drawn to Kate Thompson’s latest novel, The Little Wartime Library. I devoured it in a weekend!

Here’s the book’s description:
London, 1944 : Clara Button is no ordinary librarian. While war ravages the city above her, Clara has risked everything she holds dear to turn the Bethnal Green tube station into the country’s only underground library. Down here, a secret community thrives with thousands of bunk beds, a nursery, a cafĂ©, and a theater—offering shelter, solace, and escape from the bombs that fall upon their city.
Along with her glamorous best friend and assistant Ruby Munroe, Clara ensures the library is the beating heart of life underground. But as the war drags on, the women's determination to remain strong in the face of adversity is tested to the limits when it may come at the price of keeping those closest to them alive.
Some people may call this a dual narrative but there are only two chapters that take place in the present(ish) timeline so I wouldn’t necessarily categorize it as dual. That said, I really appreciated how Thompson introduced the characters in 2020 because it kept me curious about who, exactly, it was visiting the former underground library with her daughters. Having this time period briefly included also allows the readers a chance to connect this historical novel to their own lives, in today’s time. We’re losing more and more people who lived through WWII and books like Thompson’s allow their stories to live on and, with this one in particular, remind readers, and those who live in the Bethnal Green area, about a part of their history they may have forgotten or never known about it in the first place. I definitely had no idea there was a library in the underground during the war and I was fascinated, and a little heartbroken, at the lives of those who visited the library.

Now, I do have to say that this book was a little too long. It clocks in at 480 pages which is a lot for any book, let alone a historical fiction title. I think Thompson just had so much information she wanted to include in the story that it ended up being longer than it should have. I didn’t find too many info dumps, which I hate in historical fiction, and was swept away into the world and time period Thompson recreated for me with her story. I respect that she wanted to include the history of the Channel Islands, Jersey in particular, but I found myself rushing through those chapters to get back to the main story. I learned a lot though and applaud Thompson for the time and effort she put into making sure her story was as accurate as she could make it.

The novel’s chapters alternate between Clara and Ruby but the pair were together so often that I sometimes got a bit confused about who I was supposed to be following. The story is told in third person too so that didn’t always clear things up. I liked both women and by having them have different backgrounds (widow vs woman on the town) allowed Thompson to share even more history of the time and what it would have been like for women of the time.

I found, at times, that maybe Thompson was reaching a bit in an effort to compare the library then to libraries now but maybe I just don’t know enough about the history of libraries. The library boss was an atrocious little man who didn’t think women had brains and didn’t appreciate the novels being circulated by the library (educational reading only if he had his way). It was a strong parallel to the censorship issues libraries across the world are facing, particularly in the United States. And the reader couldn’t help but compare the rules faced by those living through the war to some of the restrictions we had to deal with at the start of the pandemic.

I may have had teeny issues with Kate Thompson’s novel but on the whole? I loved The Little Wartime Library. Those readers who like slightly quieter and understated historical fiction (think Genevieve Graham or Jennifer Robson) will also enjoy this one, especially those who love any novel that focuses on books and booklovers. I am going to do more reading on the Bethnal Green library and I’m so thankful Thompson chose to explore this little part of history in her novel.

*An egalley was provided via NetGalley by Forever and an ARC was provided by HBG Canada in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!