Monday, January 9, 2023

Review: The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre


I first read one of Natasha Lester’s novels at the very end of 2020. The Paris Secret (review here) had been on my radar but it was thanks to the rave review from a trusted book friend that had me finally picking it up as 2020 came to a close. And, my word, was it ever good. I loved it so much that I requested both The Riviera House (review here), Lester’s 2021 release, and The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre (publishing tomorrow in North America) without even bothering to read what the stories were about. That is how much I love what Natasha Lester writes. And this new one? It is, by far, my favourite (so far).

Here’s the book’s description:
1943.  After spearheading several successful advertising campaigns in New York, PR wizard Alix St. Pierre comes to the attention of the U.S. government and finds herself recruited into a fledgling intelligence organization.
Enlisted as a spy, Alix is sent to Europe where she is tasked with getting close to a Nazi who might be willing to help the Allied forces--but there's also the chance he might be a double agent.
1946.  Following the war, Alix moves to Paris and takes a position as head of publicity for the yet-to-be-launched House of Dior. But when a figure from the war reappears and threatens to destroy her future, Alix realizes that only she can right the wrongs of the past and bring him to justice.
Dual-timeline historical fiction novels are all the rage these days and Lester has done that in previous books. Usually the timeline is war and present day (or the not so distant past as it’s getting awfully hard to set a book in the 2020s and also have folks who fought in the war are still alive - a sobering thought). I love that Lester chose to have the two timelines in this novel take place fairly close together. We find Alix in Paris in 1946 as she’s forging a new life, but we also had Alix’s time in the war, specifically from 1942-1945 (recall that World War II began in 1939 and America, where Alix is from, didn’t enter the war until after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941). I enjoyed this for a couple of reasons. First, it meant the entire story was all about Alix. I got to meet different side characters but she was the star for the entire novel. I don’t get that often enough in historical fiction novels these days. Second, it reminds readers that WWII didn’t just magically end on VE day in May 1945. There was still rationing and, in the case of Alix and countless others, there was still an immense amount of grief and trauma and that really came through, and came through masterfully, in Lester’s novel. 

Whenever I read historical fiction, I always come away having learned something new or at least gaining a better understanding of something. It’s been through books that I’ve started to understand how both world wars, for example, affected not only the men who fought, but the rest of their communities. Especially how women stepped up to take on work and, as it turns out, become spies. The fact that women were spies was not a new fact for me but Alix’s experiences were. It was fascinating - and heartbreaking - to read about her time gathering information and trying to save her informants.

Alix was a fascinating character and I absolutely adored her. She was living in the wrong time and I wish she could see what women are now able to accomplish (though we still have some work to do). I hated that she felt that marriage (and therefore love) was not for her because she adored her work so much. Most men wouldn’t want their wives to work and even if she did work, she couldn’t have her own bank account if she was married. Those restrictions chafed at Alix, and I don’t blame her. Also, given my own background in communications, marketing, and PR, I loved that she was working as a publicist for Dior. The decisions she made (for work, at least) were brilliant and I hope I can be half as good at my own work as she was at hers.

Don’t forget to read the author’s note at the end of this one (or any book, for that matter, but especially historical fiction). Lester shares some of the sources she used for her (massive amount of) research as well as explains how and why she shifted some details around to suit the narrative.

The Three Lives of Alix St. Pierre was one of my most anticipated reads of 2023 and Natasha Lester did not let me down. The story was captivating, the characters were intriguing, and the writing was excellent. If you’re a historical fiction fan, you must buy this book!

*An ARC of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!