Monday, December 19, 2022

Review: You’re a Mean One, Matthew Prince


As soon as I heard the title of Timothy Janovsky’s latest novel, I was intrigued. How could I not be with a title like You’re a Mean One, Matthew Prince? It just screams, “Pick me up and read me!” I didn’t know it was also telling me I was going to love it but that’s what happened. This might be my favourite Christmas read of the season!

Here’s the book’s description:
Bring a little joy to the world?
Not today, Santa.
Matthew Prince is young, rich, and thoroughly spoiled. So what if his parents barely remember he exists and the press is totally obsessed with him? He’s on top of the world. But one major PR misstep later, and Matthew is cut off and shipped away to spend the holidays in his grandparents’ charming small town hellscape. Population: who cares?
It’s bad enough he’s stuck in some festive winter wonderland—it’s even worse that he has to share space with Hector Martinez, an obnoxiously attractive local who’s unimpressed with anything and everything Matthew does.
Just when it looks like the holiday season is bringing nothing but heated squabbles, the charity gala loses its coordinator and Matthew steps in as a saintly act to get home early on good behavior…with Hector as his maddening plus-one. But even a Grinch can’t resist the unexpected joy of found family, and in the end, the forced proximity and infectious holiday cheer might be enough to make a lonely Prince’s heart grow three sizes this year.
Enemies to lovers romances are really tough for me but I keep giving them a try because everyone once and awhile a rom com like this comes along and I remember how excellent that trope can be. Neither character really dislikes the other, it’s the circumstances that have them all twisted up and once they move past that, well, then sparks can fly! And fly they did. *fans self*

I’m not going to be the first to compare this read to Schitt’s Creek and I likely won’t be the last, but I’ll do it anyway. If you loved that show, you’ll really enjoy this book. Matthew had so many David moments which resulted in a lot of cringing and laughing. Hector isn’t quite like Patrick but he’s a perfect match for Matthew. It’s not just the two main characters who gave off Schitt’s Creek vibes but the whole town. The name of the town has totally flown out of my head, naturally. It’s a more thriving town than Schitt’s Creek is with a successful college and there’s no motel, just a B&B that was all booked up – no room at the inn! But there’s a coffee shop with the best barista in town (and an all-around stand-up woman) and there’s a mix of wacky and loveable everywhere you look. Schitt’s Creek with a dash of Stars Hollow, perhaps.

Matthew and Hector are both quite young, so they act like you’d expect of young men – focused on the immediate needs and wants and not fully being able to see the big picture. Some may think the romance was a bit insta-lovey but I didn’t find that to bother me. It’s a Christmas rom com. What else would I have expected? It was because of their youthfulness, I think, that the third act break up played out the way it did. Personally, I was pissed at how it turned out and I was Very Angry at a certain character (neither Matthew nor Hector). I was reading a romance so I knew it would all work out in the end, but I found myself wondering how on earth things would get patched up. I was rewarded with a really lovely Happily Ever After, which pleased me greatly!

The Christmas aspect of this novel was present without being overwhelming and I had no problem with this story billing itself as a Christmas rom com. There’s a lot of festive spirit including a Christmas tree farm visit and an outdoor light festival. There was also an emphasis on the importance of family, whether that’s blood family or chosen family and that was a really nice touch too. Matthew already had a big heart, just one that he hid, but I’m sure it grew three sizes over the course of the novel. (OK, I just re-read the book's description and it makes the same Grinch reference so just pretend I made it first, alright?)

I really very much enjoyed You’re a Mean One, Matthew Prince and think others will have a lot of fun with Timothy Janovsky’s novel as well. It was full of laughs, heart, and Christmas spirit and I definitely recommend it!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Sourcebooks Casablanca, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!