Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Review: Part of Your World


I’ve been hearing about Abby Jimenez’s books for a few years now but had never gotten around to reading one. So many books, so little time, am I right? I decided to finally read my first from her when I heard about Part of Your World and had a chance to get an early copy. I mean, how could I not be intrigued when there was mention of a baby goat?!? This was a really enjoyable rom com that was heavy on both romance and comedy but also heavy on the, well, heavy stuff too. It was pretty well balanced and I had a good time reading it.

Here’s the book’s description:
After a wild bet, gourmet grilled-cheese sandwich, and cuddle with a baby goat, Alexis Montgomery has had her world turned upside down. The cause: Daniel Grant, a ridiculously hot carpenter who’s ten years younger than her and as casual as they come—the complete opposite of sophisticated city-girl Alexis. And yet their chemistry is undeniable.
While her ultra-wealthy parents want her to carry on the family legacy of world-renowned surgeons, Alexis doesn’t need glory or fame. She’s fine with being a “mere” ER doctor. And every minute she spends with Daniel and the tight-knit town where he lives, she’s discovering just what’s really important. Yet letting their relationship become anything more than a short-term fling would mean turning her back on her family and giving up the opportunity to help thousands of people.
Bringing Daniel into her world is impossible, and yet she can’t just give up the joy she’s found with him either. With so many differences between them, how can Alexis possibly choose between her world and his?
The storyline with Alexis’s ex was really, really hard to read at times. Anyone with triggers with gaslighting and emotionally abusive relationships must take note. I hated how this smart, capable woman had been reduced to being so insecure because of her ex. His behaviour was appalling and it didn’t help that Alexis’s family and so-called friends still thought he was the best thing ever. He was careful to hide his behaviour, of course, but it was such a clear indication that most people in Alexis’s life didn’t care enough about her to realize that something was terribly wrong. I was so glad that she had Bri in her corner, at least.

Even knowing the issues she had had with her ex and the emotional trauma all that came with…I still had a hard time accepting Alexis’s reasons for not wanting to commit to Daniel. Not only that, she wasn’t fully up front with him. It was like she couldn’t see a chance with him and didn’t give him all of the information to make a decision for himself. I loved Alexis but I loved Daniel more and I wish she had shown him a little bit more respect when it came to their relationship.

The small town magic was too much fun. Jimenez made this a fairy tale with hints of magic popping up in town that made this story whimsical and helped balance out the heavier storylines.

Even though Alexis was hell bent on not allowing things to turn into a full blown relationship, the romance between she and Daniel was delightful. Their meet cute was awfully cute – with a dose of awkward too, which is always amusing in a rom com – and the sparks between them were immediately obvious. You couldn’t help but root for the two of them!

Part of Your World was an absolute delight. I laughed and swooned and cried and it was just the read I needed. This may have been the first book of Abby Jimenez’s that I read but I don’t think it’s going to be the last.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!