Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Review: Sisters of the Resistance


I'm not sure I knew the sister of Christian Dior was involved in the French Resistance until I read Natasha Lester's (amazing) The Paris Secret. Catherine Dior was a passing secondary character in that novel so when I heard that Christine Wells was writing a novel that focused more on Dior's role in World War II? I was immediately intrigued. Sisters of the Resistance was a riveting read that shines a light on the women who worked behind the scenes, at a great risk to their own lives, as they fought to liberate their country from Nazi Germany.

Here's the book's description:
France, 1944: The Nazis still occupy Paris, and twenty-five-year-old Gabby Foucher hates these enemies, though, as the concierge of ten rue Royale, she makes it a point to avoid trouble, unlike her sister Yvette. Until she, like her sister, is recruited into the Resistance by Catherine Dior—sister of the fashion designer, Christian Dior.
Gabby and Yvette are both swept into the world of spies, fugitives, and Resistance workers, and it doesn't take long for the sisters to realize that their lives are in danger.
Gabby discovers an elderly tenant is hiding a wounded British fugitive, and Yvette becomes a messenger for the Resistance. But as Gabby begins to fall in love with her patient and Yvette’s impulsiveness lead her into intrigue at an ever-higher level, both women will discover that their hearts and even their souls hang in the balance as well.
I may have been interested in this book at first because of the Catherine Dior connection but the novel isn't actually about her. Sure, she plays an extremely important role and is featured prominently but the story isn't told by her. The reader follows sisters Gabby and Yvette as they each do work to help Dior's resistance network. It shouldn't matter that it wasn't really about Dior. I believe I've read that there isn't actually a lot of material on Dior and her part in the resistance for researchers and writers to pull from. It makes sense that authors, like Wells, don't want to put fictional thoughts in the minds of real people when the information just isn't there. That's all fine. What I don't love is when publishers try to capitalize on a Big Name in History to sell books. I think historical fiction fans are interested enough in learning more about the people (women especially) that we haven't read about before. Those lesser known stories that are only just being talked about now, decades later. None of this is a bad thing, exactly, but I think readers need to temper their expectations when going into this novel as it is not told from Dior's point of view.

All that said, this novel is a fascinating look at what it would have been like in Paris during the Occupation and as residents worked together to fight back. The French Resistance is so interesting. The number of people, especially women, who put their lives in danger to protect their Jewish neighbours or to provide a safe house for injured Allied soldiers or pilots is astounding. And many of them believed that they were just doing what any normal person would do. But the thing is, a lot of people didn't do anything. It was a terrifying time so it's understandable that some people just weren't able to justify risking their own lives to save someone else's. So many women were left widowed because their husbands had to go off to fight at the front. Why would they risk what little they had left? But others? Like Catherine and the other Resistance Fighters? There was no question. They did everything they could. And there were so many ways that people were helping. I don't want to spoil anything but Wells does a good job of highlighting the many different types of things Parisians were doing to save their city. It was awe-inspiring. 

The story is told from both Gabby and Yvette's perspectives (third person) and in two time periods. During the war, in 1944, and afterwards, in 1947. It's similar to what Kate Quinn did in The Rose Code but it wasn't quite as nimbly done. I listened to both novels - they're actually narrated by the same person, Saskia Maarleveld, who I find incredibly talented - so I know it wasn't a listening vs reading thing that had me comparing the two. I can't put my finger on what didn't work but it wasn't as well done as I was expecting. Not to say that it was bad! I find the post-war period really interesting because it did take years for Europe to emerge from the shadow of war and I think that's a time period that should be explored a bit more. *searches for more novels set in the late 1940s*

As I said, I listened to the audiobook of this novel. Maarleveld put on a French accent (Parisian, not Quebecois like I'd be used to hearing in my own country) when the sisters and other French characters were speaking. It was a bit more of a reminder that, technically, they would have been speaking French most of the time and yet I was reading (listening) in English. It's always a bit weird to read novels like that but what else is there to do? I can't read a book in another language! (Even if I am trying to learn French online. It's slow going.) Maarleveld has a really pleasing voice and I'll definitely be looking into more of the novels that she narrates.

Overall, Sisters of the Resistance was an interesting read that shone a light on the important work French Resistance members, like Catherine Dior, did during World War II. Christine Wells' novel is a good one for historical fiction fans who are looking to learn even more about the time period.

*An egalley and an advanced listening copy of this novel were provided by the publisher, HarperCollins Canada/Harper Audio, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!