Friday, May 28, 2021

Review: Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake


I missed out on reading Alexis Hall's Boyfriend Material, though it's on my ereader waiting for me to make time for it, but given how many trusted friends enjoyed it, I knew I needed to read Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake. An #OwnVoices rom com set in England and taking place at a televised baking competition? Sign. Me. Up.

Here's the book's description:
Following the recipe is the key to a successful bake. Rosaline Palmer has always lived by those rules—well, except for when she dropped out of college to raise her daughter, Amelie. Now, with a paycheck as useful as greaseproof paper and a house crumbling faster than biscuits in tea, she’s teetering on the edge of financial disaster. But where there’s a whisk there’s a way . . . and Rosaline has just landed a spot on the nation’s most beloved baking show.
Winning the prize money would give her daughter the life she deserves—and Rosaline is determined to stick to the instructions. However, more than collapsing trifles stand between Rosaline and sweet, sweet victory.  Suave, well-educated, and parent-approved Alain Pope knows all the right moves to sweep her off her feet, but it’s shy electrician Harry Dobson who makes Rosaline question her long-held beliefs—about herself, her family, and her desires.
Rosaline fears falling for Harry is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Yet as the competition—and the ovens—heat up, Rosaline starts to realize the most delicious bakes come from the heart. 
I have to discuss the love triangle first and it's going to be a bit spoilery so if you hate that, please move onto the second paragraph! I hated what happened between Rosaline and one of the men. Absolutely hated it. It was gross and uncomfortable and I didn't like reading it. It felt like I was misled and betrayed a much as Rosaline was and while I appreciate that Hall used it as an opportunity to have really important conversations about gender and sexuality...I really, really wish it hadn't happened. 

Onwards!

I absolutely LOVE Great British Bake Off. So so so much. It is hands down my favourite reality show because it is so soothing and lovely and full of baked goods! So, it was super fun to have Rosaline take part in a GBBO-esque show. My sister told me long ago about how she had read that the hosts will sometimes start swearing or saying brand names when a contestant is having a rough time because then the footage becomes unusable. Hall uses that in the story and I actually laughed out loud. It really added to the feeling that this is what GBBO is actually like and I adored it. 

Related to the baking show, the novel is set up by weeks, just like the show is. Contestants go to the filming location every weekend to compete in their themed weekly challenges. I don't know if the format would work for everyone but I really enjoyed it. I found it kept things moving and focused all the action during the times when all the action was taking place. It just made sense to me!

Rosaline has, as is customary for rom coms, a journey in this novel and she really grows as a person. She's always been a great person, you can just tell, but she becomes so much more confident in herself throughout the course of the show and it's so lovely to see. 

Amelie, Rosaline's daughter, is an absolute hoot. She's a precocious kid (about seven or eight) and she would tell you she was because she has a very extensive vocabulary. Funnily enough, this was the second book in a very short period of time where I read about a single mom/mum with a feisty and wicked intelligent daughter around the same age. Given I have absolutely no desire to have children of my own, I sometimes avoid single parent rom coms but this is a reason you should always read a little outside your norm because both books portrayed single parenthood really well and I enjoyed them. Back to Amelie...I absolutely loved that she called Harry Mr. Viking and he called her Prime Minister. Their instant connection was so cute.

There's a lot of discussion about gender roles, sexual preferences, sexism, and classism in this book. That may sound like a lot of Topics for some people (and if it is...um, pay attention to the world because these are important things) but Hall weaves it together so well and in an entertaining and educational way. It's clear that Hall isn't trying to have Rosaline speak for all women or all bisexuals but by having her have these important discussions, it can help the reader identify problem spots in their own thoughts and behaviours and can, hopefully, correct them in the future. 

All in all, I had a grand time reading Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake. I do think my expectations were a touch high and they weren't quite met but I'll definitely be reading Alexis Hall's previous book and whatever comes next. I laughed and swooned and had a lot of other emotions and that made for a good rom com in my books.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributor, HBG Canada, via Netgalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!