Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Review: The Last Thing He Told Me


I've been reading Laura Dave for a long time - I first read her novel The First Husband way back in 2012. Even though I've been enjoying her books for almost a decade, I almost didn't request The Last Thing He Told Me. Let me tell you: I am SO glad that I did. I could not put it down and had it finished in two days. And wished I could have started it over again and read it in one sitting!

Here's the book's description:
Despite her confusion and fear, Hannah Hall knows exactly to whom the note refers: Owen’s sixteen-year-old daughter, Bailey. Bailey, who lost her mother tragically as a child. Bailey, who wants absolutely nothing to do with her new stepmother.
As Hannah’s increasingly desperate calls to Owen go unanswered; as the FBI arrests Owen’s boss; as a US Marshal and FBI agents arrive at her Sausalito home unannounced, Hannah quickly realizes her husband isn’t who he said he was. And that Bailey just may hold the key to figuring out Owen’s true identity—and why he really disappeared.
Hannah and Bailey set out to discover the truth, together. But as they start putting together the pieces of Owen’s past, they soon realize they are also building a new future. One neither Hannah nor Bailey could have anticipated.
The reason I almost didn't request the latest offering from Dave is because I've been really wary of thrillers lately. I keep picking them up because I love the author but it's not my genre of choice. I've learned I like mysteries more and I was really happy when I realized Dave's was skewing more to the mystery side of things. Hannah isn't a detective or any sort of professional that should be solving mysteries but she's on the case of why her husband is missing (this is not to be confused with cozy mysteries when the local cupcake baker ends up solving murder after murder in a small town that mysteriously does not lose permanent residents). I really had no idea how it would all turn out and I was both dreading and highly anticipating the end of the story. I needed to know what happened but I wasn't ready to say goodbye. That's the mark of a good and enjoyable book in my, well, book. 

The description hints at it a little bit but the relationship between Hannah and Bailey, Owen's teenage daughter, was a highlight of the story. The emotions between the two and reading as they were trying to work out what happened to Owen while still navigating their new relationship was full of heart and I loved it. It was real and raw. There was so much pain, and a bit of distrust, but there was also love underneath it all. The way it ends will have you feeling sad and also so hopeful. 

An amusing aside - Hannah is visited by a US Marshal right after her husband disappears. He seems to be a solid (and good looking) guy so, naturally, I pictured him as the character Raylan Givens, as played by Timothy Olyphant, in Justified. It's funny how the minds work sometimes! (Also, this is an older show that's totally worth a watch.)

Another aside - I'm really happy with the cover of this novel. It's aesthetically pleasing but doesn't scream "THIS IS A SUSPENSE STORY WRITTEN BY A WOMAN" which is so often the case. It's simple but a bit dark and you have to wonder, what's the story behind this cover?

I think the ending might polarize people but I was happy with it. Well, parts of it. I wished for one thing but if I couldn't have that thing, I was pleased with how it wrapped up. How's that for vague? Just read the book and you'll get it and I'll be here for you when you're done!

Laura Dave's latest novel was a riveting read I could not put down. The Last Thing He Told Me was well-written and featured characters you can't help but become invested in. I didn't want it to end and am already looking forward to what Dave writes next.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Simon & Schuster Canada, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely a bit hard to classify this one but I completely agree with you - mystery 100%. This book was absolutely wonderful and I love your vague thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!