Monday, December 21, 2020

Review: One More for Christmas

Sarah Morgan has been a go-to author for me for years. I've been thoroughly enjoying her festive offerings for the last couple of years and was very much looking forward to One More for Christmas, this year's holiday novel. It gave me all the Christmas feels, complete with a lovely (and dramatic in the best way) family story, with a side of two romances and a stunning setting. I liked it a lot (didn't quite love it) but would definitely recommend it to holiday lovers this season.

Here's the synopsis:

For sisters Samantha and Ella Mitchell, Christmas is their most precious time of the year—a time for togetherness, love and celebration. Most of all, it’s about making up for everything their childhood Christmases lacked. But this year, they’ll be buying presents for the most unexpected guest of all—their estranged mother. It’s been five years since they last saw each other. But when their mom calls out of the blue and promises that this Christmas will be different, Samantha and Ella cautiously agree to spend it all together…

Gayle Mitchell is at the top of her career, but her success has come at a price—her relationship with her daughters. She never seemed to say or do the right things. Her tough-love approach was designed to make them stronger, but instead managed to push them away…until a brush with her own mortality forces Gayle to make amends. As the snowflakes fall on their first family celebration in years, the Mitchell women must learn that sometimes facing up to the past is all you need to heal your heart…

Gayle was a really hard character to get a handle on. I think that was kind of the point but, like Samantha, I found it difficult to believe she did want to change and also that she could change. At some point that feeling did go away and I was on board for Gayle examining her life choices and realizing that the life she was living was so not an ideal one. It maybe seemed a bit far fetched but I think having an accident and then being faced with the Christmas season can make a lot of people reexamine their lives.

The story was told in third person with shifting perspectives. Gayle, Samantha, and Ella all have many chapters but Kirstie, whose family owns the house in Scotland where the Mitchells spend the holidays, also has a couple of chapters. If memory serves, it really was just two. I know Morgan wanted to give some background into the family without Brodie, an eventual love interest, being the focus but it was really odd to have these random chapters when Kirstie really doesn't play a large role in the novel at all.

But the setting? Oh my word, it was magical. I loved being transported to the Scottish Highlands (and wish I could be there right now, to be honest. If I'm going to be locked down again soon, may as well be somewhere more remote. With reindeer!) I did find myself wishing the story would hurry up and the family would just arrive already but the set up was worth it. You got to understand a bit more why Samantha would be investigating the house for work (her travel company focuses on wintery, festive escapes and I love that idea) and understand how difficult it was going to be for all of the Mitchells to spend the holidays together.

What I like about having multiple characters to read about is you get three very different lives and storylines. Gayle is having, well, I guess a mid-life crisis brought about by her accident and I absolutely adored reading as she got to know her granddaughter and became friends with Mary, the owner of the house. Ella has a wonderful marriage and I really appreciated that Morgan showed how solid she and her husband were. They had a great relationship that was a partnership and they were also still clearly excited about each other in the bedroom. Then there was Samantha, who, despite her best intentions, seems to be following in her mother's footsteps and has been so focused on work she hasn't allowed herself to get involved in a real relationship. So seeing her open up with Brodie was delightful (and he is oh so romantic and I loved him). I was rooting for all sorts of Happily Ever Afters while reading this novel.

One More for Christmas was a lovely holiday novel. Sarah Morgan continues to be a must-read for me and I think others will thoroughly enjoy this one as well. It's not perfect but it's perfect for the season and that's all that matters to me. Now...let's start planning a vacation to the Scottish Highlands. 

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, HarperCollins Canada/Harlequin, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!