Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Review: The Merriest Magnolia



Note to self: make sure you check if a book is part of a series before you request it. I hadn't realized that The Merriest Magnolia was actually the second book Michelle Major had written in her Magnolia Sisters series. It wasn't the end of the world but it meant I wasn't prepared for not knowing everything about the characters but expecting to. I got over that fairly quickly but then the rest of the book kind of let me down.

Here's the synopsis:
Home for the holidays has always meant cozy small-town traditions…but this year all that may change…
Carrie Reed has always been known as her hometown Good Girl, yet she still loves Magnolia, North Carolina—after all, this is where her newly discovered sisters, Avery and Meredith, live. But Christmas is on its way and with it, her first love. Dylan Scott is back in town and planning on changing everything she’s ever loved about Magnolia with his real estate development project…but not without a fight.
Returning to Magnolia was never in Dylan’s plans—it holds too many reminders that he would never be good enough, and memories of the girl he left behind. But when a tragedy leaves him guardian of a grieving teenager, Dylan returns, ready to remake the town into something only money can buy, small-town traditions be damned. But with Carrie determined to stop him, he finds himself wondering if redeeming his teenage reputation is worth losing out on his second chance at love.
In a surprise to no one who knows what romance novel tropes I like, I requested this book because of the second chance love story. If I'm being honest though, I'm starting to wonder why. Because usually there's major heartbreak and massive miscommunication and then lots of anger when they see each other again after 10+ years. So, I think I need to reevaluate things and take a closer look at which second chance stories I am actually drawn to. And maybe not get distracted by festive storylines!

Dylan was, quite frankly, an idiot. I can forgive running off when he was 18 (ish?) because no one really knows themselves at that age. He should have just talked to Carrie because he was stupid to think she was too good for him (not to say that she wasn't good...she was. And perhaps was too good for him. But that's for HER to decide.) and there was a lot of hurt and emotional issues that could have been avoided if he hadn't just taken off. He was holding onto too much anger about what her father did to him and the town and couldn't see that he was acting in quite a similar manner when he came storming back into town wanting to take over things and make them "better" without even taking the time to figure out what the town actually needed. Newsflash: it wasn't him and his fancy schmancy ideas. Ahem. Yeah, I didn't like Dylan at all and that did not help me like this story.

Carrie was a very good person. Too good. She had turned into a doormat because her father emotionally manipulated her. I feel like I was missing a few pieces since I hadn't read the first book where she and her half-sisters find out about each other after their father's death. He seemed like a real piece of work and I hated that she lost out on so much of her own life because he and his ego were too fragile to let her go and experience things on her own. And he discouraged her painting because she was better than him! What parent does that?? She did have a typical romance heroine journey and found a backbone and rekindled her love of painting, so I appreciated that. But it was hard to get over my anger with her father...and Dylan...and even her mother for leaving her with her dad. 

I did, surprisingly, love the fact that Dylan was now the guardian of his late cousin's teenager (obviously I was not a fan of people dying and the kid having his life turned upside down). I was more invested in Sam and his storyline than I was the romance between Dylan and Carrie. I liked seeing as he opened up to Carrie, and then Dylan, and started to learn that there were still people in the world who cared about him and were there for him. I said it was surprising that I liked this storyline because I'm not into single parent stories. I don't want kids and have a hard time connecting with romances where the hero or heroine has kids. But there was something about this one that got me right in the feels.

Ultimately, The Merriest Magnolia did not leave me feeling very...well...merry. Michelle Major's latest novel wasn't a bad one. It just wasn't for me. Might be worth a read if you're looking for a hit of small town Christmas and half-sisters becoming the best of friends but if you already have a TBR pile as tall as a Christmas tree, I'd maybe give this one a miss.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Harlequin, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!