Thursday, August 27, 2020

Review: A Sweet Alaskan Fall


You know how when you read a new book in a series it kind of feels like coming home? You're reunited with friends you've met in other books and get to spend time in a place you love. No? Just me? *shrugs* Regardless, reading Jennifer Snow's Wild River series is like that for me. I had read a not-so-great book and being able to move to Snow's latest book, A Sweet Alaskan Fall, was such a joy. I knew the kind of story I was going to get it and it was so soothing and lovely. Even if I'm not quite ready to say hello to fall.

Here's the synopsis:

Montana Banks has returned to Wild River, Alaska, for a fresh start. Adventure has always been in her blood, but while an injury leaves her unable to participate in her favorite extreme sports, Montana settles for teaching base-jumping classes at her friend’s tour company. Settling in has been almost too easy: a great job, her family’s acceptance and her own apartment—right next door to straitlaced police officer Eddie Sanders.

Eddie has always had feelings for Montana, and now that he’s leaving for a new job in Anchorage he wonders if he should’ve taken a chance with her sooner. Then a moment of violence the night of his going-away party leaves him badly wounded. Seeing Eddie’s job opportunity lost and self-confidence following close behind, Montana is determined to show him all the reasons he has to pick himself up again.
I had a feeling while reading Under an Alaskan Sky, the second book in the series, that the next book would be about Montana and Eddie. It was almost hard to picture at first because in the second book he was extremely suspicious of her and her motives. But, by the end, you could tell there was an interest there but you didn't know if it would be reciprocated. Montana thinks she's pretty damaged and is focused more on strengthening her relationship with her daughter as well as staying on top of her health. And honestly? That was the best thing for her. Romance could take a back seat - it wasn't the most important. But falling for Eddie just seemed so right. Her daughter already knows him and he's friendly with her new friends plus she really gets a handle on so many things in this book that you can't help but root for the romance to blossom between Montana and Eddie.

And do I have a similar feeling about who the fourth novel will be about, you (don't) ask? Why yes, thank you for (not) inquiring. I had a sense that the next book (out next spring) would follow Eddie's sister, Leslie, and I was correct! It sounds great but heavy and I'm already looking forward to it.

I have to say that this book almost veered off into corny made for tv mystery territory (not that there's anything wrong with those, when done well). I suppose that was to be expected given Eddie's profession as a police officer but I think the subject matter was just a touch too heavy for the romance series Snow is writing.

I think I found Montana's character to be a bit stronger than Eddie's, but maybe that's because I got to know her a bit  in the second book. That said, there was a lot more to Eddie than the reader (and Montana) expected and I liked seeing more of him. More of both of them, to be honest. They were a unique couple in that they seemed like opposites but they were a lot more similar than you’d initially expect and in ways that’s kind of hard to describe. Like any great couple, they made each other shine. Their connection may have been unexpected but it was genuine and I loved reading as they fell for each other.

Finally, in case you're curious about what I thought about the first two books, you can read my mini review of An Alaskan Christmas here and my review of Under an Alaskan Sky here.

A Sweet Alaskan Fall might have edged out the others in Jennifer Snow's Wild River series as my favourite of the trio. I liked the story, I loved the characters, and I adored how I felt when reading it. This romance novel came along at just the right time and it made for the coziest, heartwarming afternoon when I read it.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Harlequin, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!