Friday, August 14, 2020

Review: Happy Go Money

Melissa Leong's book Happy Go Money was published way back in January 2019. It took me awhile to get a copy and then to actually read it. And now it's taken months to write the review. I think what's stumped me is: how does one review a book on financial literacy? Even one as accessible and intelligent as Leong's? I still haven't figured it out but buckle in as we go on this ride together.

Here's the book's description:

Everything tells us that what will make us happy can be bought, whether it's the latest gadgets, renovated kitchens, or luxury goods. But research has shown that having more money in the bank and more stuff around the house doesn't necessarily correlate with being a happier person. With Happy Go Money, financial expert Melissa Leong cuts through the noise to show you how to get the most delight for your dollar.
Happy Go Money combines happiness psychology and personal finance and distills it into an indispensable starter guide. Each snappy chapter provides practical, easy-to-understand advice on topics such as spending, budgeting, investing, and mindfulness, while weaving in research, interactive exercises, and relatable anecdotes. Frank, funny, and empowering, this primer challenges everyone to revamp their relationship with their money so they can dial down their worries and supersize their joy.

Way back when I wasn't working, I would watch The Social and always liked when Melissa Leong was on because I found all her financial tips to be easy to follow and implement into my own life. So, when I heard she was writing a book, I was excited. That relatable, easy to understand personality comes through in this book. The tips make sense, even when it's talking about things I normally am completely clueless about. And it's fun! Yes, a book about how to look after your money is fun. Leong's personality shines and it's like talking to a friend about how best to budget your hard earned money.

I'm pretty good with money and always have been. I'm lucky that I didn't have massive student debts and I have a family that helped me out a lot (and still does). But I don't take that for granted. I work hard and save as much as I can. That said, I felt like I should be more Adult about my savings ever since I turned 30 a few years ago. This book can help if you're feeling like that too. Leong doesn't make you feel like an idiot if you haven't started an RRSP etc. (Though you'll still feel like one because she lays things out in such a way that you're like, oh hell I should have started this a decade ago but what did I know at 20?)

I pretty much wanted to highlight this entire book. SO much good information in here. And not just on the nitpicky how to invest or what certain types of accounts are. (I seriously feel like a toddler when it comes to these things.) But also on spending and saving wisely without sacrificing your life and fun. Each chapter ends with "Your Happy Money To-Do List" where she challenges you to think happier and presents suggestions for how to plan for emergencies and learn lessons from regrettable purchases (but don't beat yourself up about it). Then there are "Money Talks" tips that will have you looking at your relationship with money. They're "actionable tidbits," as Leong calls them, so we can chart a better path for ourselves and our finances.

There are chapters on pretty much everything in this book (and with wonderfully catchy titles like "Check Yourself Before You Wreck Your Wealth" and "Happiness for Later") that will guide you through figuring out WTF you're doing with your money. Make notes while you read and you'll probably want to reread it, as I plan on doing, to make sure you're following the road map she's laid out for us.

Things are weird right now and who knows what our savings and jobs will look like even next month. But do yourself a favour and check out Melissa Leong's Happy Go Money. It's never too late to take a look at your finances and try to figure out how to set yourself up for happiness (and, remember, for most of us, more money does not equal more happiness). Talking about money is usually a frustrating thing for me but I actually had fun while reading Leong's book and I think others will too.

*An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher, ECW Press, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!