Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Review: The Brideship Wife


Were you always bored in history class in elementary and high school? I was a pretty good student but even I couldn't get excited about history in school. I'm a big fan of historical fiction these days though and I almost always use the novels as a starting point for learning more about what really happened way back when. Sometimes I read novels about things I should have learned in school and have just totally pushed out of my head. But sometimes I come across a story that features a part of history that almost everyone has forgotten about. The Brideship Wife was one of those novels. Author Leslie Howard stumbled on the history of brideships in the 1800s and decided it was the perfect setting for a novel.

Here's the synopsis:
Tomorrow we would dock in Victoria on the northwest coast of North America, about as far away from my home as I could imagine. Like pebbles tossed upon the beach, we would scatter, trying to make our way as best as we could. Most of us would marry; some would not.
England, 1862. Charlotte is somewhat of a wallflower. Shy and bookish, she knows her duty is to marry, but with no dowry, she has little choice in the matter. She can’t continue to live off the generosity of her sister Harriet and her wealthy brother-in-law, Charles, whose political aspirations dictate that she make an advantageous match.
When Harriet hosts a grand party, Charlotte is charged with winning the affections of one of Charles’s colleagues, but before the night is over, her reputation—her one thing of value—is at risk. In the days that follow, rumours begin to swirl. Soon Charles’s standing in society is threatened and all that Charlotte has held dear is jeopardized, even Harriet, and Charlotte is forced to leave everything she has ever known in England and embark on a treacherous voyage to the New World.
From the rigid social circles of Victorian England to the lawless lands bursting with gold in British Columbia’s Cariboo, The Brideship Wife takes readers on a mesmerizing journey through a time of great change. Based on a forgotten chapter in history, this is a sparkling debut about the pricelessness of freedom and the courage it takes to follow your heart.
I really felt like I was going on this journey with Charlotte. I don't know exactly what the settings would have been like, of course, but the worlds Howard created in this novel were brought to life for me. It was vivid, without being overly descriptive, and it was very much like a movie in my head.

I did struggle with a few things in this novel that kept me from loving it, like I kind of expected to. There was a lot happening in this novel. A lot. There was the scandal that pushed Charlotte out of England (which has multiple layers to it in terms of class and gender inequality) and the main purpose of the story, to explain the history of the brideships. But then there was the smallpox pandemic and how it devastated the Indigenous population in what was to become Canada. There were race issues, both with the Indigenous in British Columbia and with Charlotte's friend Sarah, who was half black, and her father. Then there was a devastating fire, which happened often in gold mining towns (and yes, there was a lot on the gold rush, too) that were built entirely of wood, which closed the book on a random character who was not at all necessary to the plot. Oh, and a laudanum addiction pops up too. Yeah. A lot. And on top of all that, Charlotte is a gentlewoman. She had some education but she seemed to know way more than a woman of her class would have.

All that being said, the themes Howard presented were very, very good ones. I appreciated that she focused on race and gender issues because so many of those issues are still prevalent today. Perhaps not as extreme as it once was but we still have a lot of work to do. The women who were on the brideships, and others who made their way to the New World in other ways, still had some societal restraints but they were also afforded many more freedoms than they had had in Victorian England. It was so wonderful to read as these women grabbed ahold of their new lives and made the most of it because they knew they deserved it.

I've been loving the historical fiction Canadian authors are writing right now. My favourite is Genevieve Graham and she was the one who reminded me that we have some interesting history in our country - even if we're a young country. Howard has contributed to the genre as well with her debut which focuses on a part of history that we were in danger of forgetting. I'm looking forward to even more historical novels about Canada's history. (Hear that, authors and publishers? Give me what I need.) Have you read other authors who write about Canadian history specifically (especially Indigenous authors)? I'd love to hear about them.

While I didn't love the novel The Brideship Wife I did love what Leslie Howard was attempting in her debut novel. I think historical fiction fans, especially Canadians, should consider reading this one because it tells a story of our history that we shouldn't forget.

*An ARC of this novel was provided by the publisher, Simon & Schuster Canada, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!