Sunday, December 23, 2012

Just Finished: Christmas Spirit


Christmas Spirit by Liberty Blake was one of those quick and entertaining short stories that you need to read every once and awhile. This short story is one of Still Moments Publishing's and I was happy to give it a chance when they asked me to review it. I'm a sucker for all things Christmassy :)

Here's the short and sweet description of this story:
Cross a Christmas phobic male with a caterer with Christmas bells on...can she ignite the Christmas spirit in him?
I blew through this story in a lunch hour at work this past week, which was great. Sometimes it's nice to be able to wrap something up in one sitting because you don't want to have to re-enter the character's world. This was a really short short story at just 28 pages so I had no problem reading it at lunch. It was a lovely break for the day!

Sometimes I find short stories too short, especially when they try to rush things. It can sometimes be particularly bad with romances because you have to wonder how quickly people can really fall in love. Even though this story was very short, I didn't have that feeling. I thought there was just enough time given that it made sense that the characters could end up with each other. I did think that I would have liked some more back story on a few things, like finding out why Harry hates Christmas. That almost felt abrupt and I didn't think enough time was given to that part of the story.

While the story itself wasn't one of my favourites, I thought it was well written. It had Christmas, it had a steamy romance, and it also had a theme of loss and learning to let go and enjoy things again. Very well done, considering the length of the story.

I'm really glad I got the chance to read Christmas Spirit by Liberty Blake. Check it out if you're looking for a little shot of Christmas before the big day!

Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!