Thursday, March 21, 2024

Review: Lady Charlotte Always Gets Her Man


I’m not sure which book started the historical rom com mystery craze but I’ve been having a lot of fun trying different books and authors that fit into this genre mishmash. Lady Charlotte Always Gets Her Man is the latest I’ve tried but Violet Marsh’s offering didn’t thrill me as I would have liked.

Here’s the book’s description:
Lady Charlotte Lovett should have never run away upon discovering her betrothal. But when one has been promised to a man who, rumor has it, killed his previous two wives, one does what one must. The only thing that can get her out of this engagement is proving that Viscount Hawley is as sinister as she thinks he is. And the person who would know best is his very own brother.
In many ways, Dr. Matthew Talbot is the exact opposite of his sibling—scholarly, shy, and shunned by society. But like his brother, he has secrets, and he doesn’t need Charlotte exposing them in her quest to take down the viscount. It only seems prudent to help her while keeping her from poking her nose in all the wrong places. But as they put their hearts at risk to grow closer to each other, they are also getting closer to a dangerous confrontation with Hawley.
One of the main issues I had with this book was Charlotte herself. She annoyed me. She may have thought she was learning the ways of the world but I felt the same as her cousins, Sophie and Hannah, and needed a lot of convincing before I could start to believe that she wasn’t just rebelling on a whim. Too often she came across as a poor little rich girl and that really grated on me. I could see she was a good person and had a less than ideal life but, at the end of the day, I didn’t really see her understanding how much her privilege afforded her. Plus, she kept putting herself in danger because she refused to hear that she didn't know how to live in the real world.

Hawley posed a very real threat - knowing but being unable to prove that he had two previous wives murdered is a terrifying prospect - but he came across as a cartoon villain. I could not take him seriously which was a problem since he was a serious problem to be dealt with.

There was some mystery and intrigue surrounding Matthew’s past that was hinted at (far too) often before it was finally revealed. By the time I learned the truth, though, I had stopped caring.

Lady Charlotte Always Gets Her Man may thrill others but Violet Marsh’s novel didn’t do much for me. It seems like there’s going to be another book in the series, with the way it ended, but I’m not sure yet if I’ll pick it up or not.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!