Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Review: Fake It Till You Bake It


It appears I’ve become a big fan of the fake dating trope. I don’t know what’s taken me so long to realize that but here we are. I recently read Fake It Till You Bake It by Jamie Wesley and I was tickled with the way the main characters were thrown together and had to pretend to be in a romantic relationship. Add in some cupcakes and I was a happy reader!

Here’s the book’s description:
Jada Townsend-Matthews is the most reviled woman in America after turning down a proposal on a reality dating show. When she comes home to lick her wounds, Jada finds herself working at San Diego's newest cupcake bakery, Sugar Blitz, alongside the uptight owner and professional football player Donovan Dell.
When a reporter mistakenly believes Jada and Donovan are an item, they realize they can use the misunderstanding to their advantage to help the struggling bakery and rehabilitate Jada's image. Faking a relationship should be simple, but sometimes love is the most unexpected ingredient.
I’ll be honest – this book isn’t exactly what I’d call great BUT I couldn’t stop reading. I was delighted by the chemistry between Jada and Donovan even while I wondered how their romance could ever remotely happen in real life. It’s a far-fetched kind of story so you have to roll with it and accept the ridiculous hijinks and cringeworthy moments. It’s a romance, after all, what did I expect? All that said, I was so pleased to have sweet and sexy moments keeping me entertained throughout the entire novel.

I felt like I got to know Jada far more than I did Donovan, which I don’t think was the author’s intention. She just seemed more…real – even though her penchant for clothes and make-up are the complete opposite of me. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to get behind her as a heroine at the start but, like Donovan, I saw the real person underneath the shiny surface by the end of the novel. It helped that Jada finally saw herself too. She was so lost at the start of the book and so incredibly defeatist. I was honestly super frustrated with her but I can’t know exactly what it would have been like to have scientist parents like hers who always compared me to a book-smart sister while struggling through school because of dyslexia. That has got to damage a girl. I get it. But it was hard to read as she was throwing everything away because of some ridiculous misguided notion that she wasn’t good enough. And she wouldn’t listen to those who really did know her. I’m glad both her grandmother and Donovan got through to her and she realized how much she had to offer the world.

I thought it was too cute that the cupcake shop, Sugar Blitz, was owned by three professional football players. It totally destroys stereotypes and I absolutely loved it. I wasn’t entirely sure of the logistics and I’m not positive the timeline could have worked for the guys being in the off-season. They didn’t seem to ever be even working out or practicing and I don’t think teams get that much time off. That nit-picking aside, seeing a different side of pro athletes was refreshing when it seems like every other day we’re hearing about a dirtbag player doing something atrocious. Even if I didn’t get to know Donovan as much as I’d have liked, I did like him and I definitely hope Wesley has set up a series so we can follow along with his business partners and teammates as they find love, too.

It might not seem like I was super happy with Fake It Till You Bake It but Jamie Wesley’s novel was fun to read. I was really invested and was really satisfied with the Happily Ever After. I’ll for sure check out whatever Wesley writes next.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, St. Martin’s Press, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!