Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Review: The Dating Playbook


I hadn't read the first book in Farrah Rochon's The Boyfriend Project Series, which was, unsurprisingly, titled The Boyfriend Project, but given each book follows a different female friend after they find out they were dating the same guy, I figured I'd be OK diving into the second book. Each woman chose a project to work on after being fooled by the guy they were dating and, given this is a romance series, they each find another (better) man along the way. The Dating Playbook is book two and it was a lot of fun to read!

Here's the book's description:
When it comes to personal training, Taylor Powell kicks serious butt. Unfortunately, her bills are piling up, rent is due, and the money situation is dire. Taylor needs more than the support of her new best friends, Samiah and London. She needs a miracle.
And Jamar Dixon might just be it. The oh-so-fine former footballer wants back into the NFL, and he wants Taylor to train him. There's just one catch -- no one can know what they're doing. But when they're accidentally outed as a couple, Taylor's game plan is turned completely upside down. Is Jamar just playing to win . . . or is he playing for keeps? 
This was an easy to read, fun and sexy book. I think I had it finished in about two sittings over two days because I didn't want to stop reading. It was exactly the kind of book I needed at the time. 

Taylor and Jamar were both really great characters to read. There was a lot more to each than you'd think at first and I enjoyed as Rochon revealed bits and pieces to the reader as the pair learned to trust each other. I knew there had to be more to Taylor's reluctance to go to school as well as the reason Jamar felt so incredibly compelled to get back into shape so he could play football again. The pay off for both was satisfying and I didn't feel like anything was dragged out.

I don't know a ton about football but, as a general sports fan, I know enough to love sports romances. I also really appreciated how Rochon made sure to mention all the dangers that come along with playing football at a high level, particularly when it comes to concussions, as that is an incredibly important topic. On the flip side, it's always kinda fun when the hero of the romance is a pro athlete because money is no object and there are lots of pretty things and extravagant houses to check out along the way! (An aside...anyone know of any romances where it's the heroine who is the pro athlete? I know women athletes don't make nearly as much as men but why am I always reading about the dudes who are amazing at sports?) Plus, what made this novel better is that Jamar has been very careful with his money and isn't into anything flashy (so I really, really couldn't understand why he had such a huge house). 

I'd call this an open door romance but, well, the first time the couple has sex they don't so much make it to a room with a door! It's a sexy book without being overly detailed and the tension leading up to the pair finally deciding to sleep together is super hot too. I liked that there was a physical attraction but both Taylor and Jamar were drawn to each other for more than just their looks. There was a mutual respect there and they each thought the other was just an incredible human. And that is super hot too.

The Dating Playbook was a lot of fun to read and I would definitely recommend Farrah Rochon's novel to other romance and rom com lovers. It has heart and laughs and sexy times. What more can you ask for?

*An egalley was provided by the Canadian distributor, HBG Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!