Thursday, July 22, 2021

Review: The Rehearsals


I love rom coms (surprise, surprise) but I also love books with a bit of magic realism (even if I don't read a ton of them). The Rehearsals by Annette Christie is a rom com with a time loop twist where both main characters are living through the same day over...and over...and over. It was a fun read with a lot of heart.

Here's the book's description:
Two people. One wedding. No end in sight.
Megan Givens and Tom Prescott are heading into what is supposed to be their magical wedding weekend on beautiful San Juan Island. But with two difficult families, ten years of history, and all too many secrets, things quickly go wrong. After a disastrous rehearsal dinner they vow to call the whole thing off—only to wake up the next morning stuck together in a time loop. Are they really destined to relive the worst day of their lives, over and over? And what happens if their wedding day does arrive?
A funny, romantic, and big-hearted debut novel, The Rehearsals imagines what we might do if given a second chance at life and at love—and what it means to finally get both right.

I'll say up front: if you didn't like Christina Lauren's In a Holidaze because you didn't like the time loop, you won't like this one. It was a bit more prominent and I know a lot of people had issues with the loop (and the repetitive nature of it) in Lauren's. I'm a fan of Groundhog Day-esque reads myself (and the movie, of course) so I was immediately intrigued by the storyline in The Rehearsals. I like thinking, what if we got a do-over on a day and had that opportunity to make it "right"? But...what IS right? I was stressed and anxious right alongside Megan and Tom and I had no idea how things would work out once they broke out of the loop - if they ever did!

I probably would have given this one a higher rating if I had liked Tom more. He was kind of an idiot. I couldn't stand that he let his family make all the decisions and never stood up for Megan when they treated her and her family like they weren't worthy of their attention. Megan didn't have to put up with that, of course, but in the grand scheme of things...is that the worst thing ever? (It is bad, Megs. Recognize that.) Plus, she was punishing herself for something that happened years prior. (Though I think she should have gotten over that at some point or recognized before the time loop that there were unresolved issues there.) And the Big Thing he DIDN'T DISCUSS WITH HER? Ugh, I was SO ANGRY. (In case you couldn't tell from all the caps.)

Because of my issues with Tom, I liked Megan's chapters way more. I really loved her - even with her massive mistake. She was smart and full of love and she had put so much work into making the wedding the best for everyone. (And you might even say that she worried about others' feelings more than what she really wanted.) I so badly wanted what was best for her and, like Megs, thought that was one option but as the loop went on, realized that maybe that option wasn't the best one. I needed her to have a Happily Ever After and I like the way Christie ended things. It wasn't a perfect bow but it was the perfect ending. 

There are a few trigger warnings to take note of: infidelity, absent parents, and overbearing parents being three of the most prominent. 

The Rehearsals was a really enjoyable read that I had finished in just two days. Annette Christie's adult novel debut is one to read - if you like your rom coms more serious, can handle infidelity storylines, and enjoy time loops. I'm looking forward to what Christie writes next!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributor, HBG Canada, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!