Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Review: Second Chance on Cypress Lane


Reese Ryan's Second Chance on Cypress Lane came out last December but it was a really great read for spring. It was light and full of heartfelt moments and told a sweet second chance story.

Here's the book's description:
When a romance gone wrong lands reporter Dakota Jones in the pages of the tabloids, her rising star crashes and burns. Instead of getting the weekend anchor job she'd been promised, she's promptly shown the door. Which leaves her one option: return home to lick her wounds, eat lemon meringue pie, and plot her comeback while actively avoiding the man who once broke her heart.
Dexter Roberts made a huge mistake when he walked away from Dakota, and he's regretted it ever since. So when Dakota returns to Holly Grove Island to regroup and decide what's next, Dex can't pass up the opportunity to win back the love of his life. Now he just needs to convince Dakota to give him a second chance. 
I've always said one of my favourite romance tropes is second chances. I've read a bunch lately (in the last couple of years) that have kind of disappointed me. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because I put too much pressure on the trope and the novels (which aren't bad at all) can't quite live up to my expectations. I think I've also had a stretch where it seems like ALL of them are a second chance after almost 20 years as the couple broke up before going away to college and then reconnect (almost always in their small town) many years later. There are only so many ways that story can go. Ryan's novel didn't surprise me in too many ways but it was really sweet to read as the people around Dakota and Dexter keep telling them that they're clearly meant to get back together and you could see that they were so much happier since they had reconnected.

I really liked the setting. Small town stories can do no wrong in my book. (Don't try to prove me wrong. Let me enjoy my small town charm.) I've never been to North Carolina but it's always seemed like a nice place to visit. I loved that Holly Grove Island was on the upswing and the small town was trying to stay current and restaurants and shops are being revitalized. I can see how great it'll be to read on through the rest of the series that's planned. And I cannot wait for Nick and Em's story. Or Sinclair and Garrett's. Oh, boy, I'm excited.

The steam level in this book was just right for my mood (I'm happy for all steam levels, in case you're new). Doors are open but it's not intensely descriptive. Plus the pair are so totally into each other which makes it SO much better. There's history and there's respect (even if they're a bit wary because their hearts, especially Dakota's, were broken so many years ago) and there's love (even if they haven't admitted it yet). That's pretty sexy.

I had a good time reading Second Chance on Cypress Lane and I'm going to keep my eye out for the next in Reese Ryan's series. I want to revisit this small town and see what everyone's up to!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!