Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Review: Forever with You

Barb Curtis' debut novel Forever with You delighted me beyond belief. It's the first in a new romance series set in a fictional small town and I had such a lovely time reading it. Romance lovers, take note!

Here's the synopsis:
Jay Wynter wants to be successful on his own merit. That's why he left Sapphire Springs and his family's winery to build a career from scratch. But now that he's successor to Wynter Estate, Jay must return to his small hometown to face everything, and everyone, he left behind-especially his high school sweetheart, who happens to be his stunning new business partner . . .

Leyna Milan knows family legacies come with strings attached, but she's determined to prove that she can run her family's restaurant. Of course, Leyna never expected that honoring her grandfather's wishes meant opening a second location on her ex's property-or having to ignore Jay's sexy grin and guard the heart he shattered years before. But as they work closely together, she begins to discover that maybe first loves deserve a second chance . . . 
Sapphire Springs isn't a real town and Curtis, a fellow Canadian, chose to set her novel in upstate New York. However, in her acknowledgements she mentioned she talked to winemaker Brian Schmidt at Vineland Estates Winery, which is in the Niagara region (in Canada) and where I live. It wasn't obvious at the start that it was in New York state so I went about my merry way and pictured the town as one of the few small villages surrounding Vineland Estates. Even after I learned where it was supposed to be set, my little brain refused to acknowledge it and I will just pretend this is a book set in Canada :)

This is very much a romance novel, which I'll get to more in a bit, but Curtis added a mystery into the mix. Jay was convinced something went wrong with Leyna's inheritance and there was something amiss. I won't go into many details because it should stay a surprise but...Curtis kind of lost me with that plot. It was overdramatic and kind of far fetched and just didn't quite seem to work with the rest of the story. It wasn't bad and it did add a little bit more tension but after I finished the book I was just kind of like...what the heck just happened?

One of the reasons I chose to read and review this book was the second chance element. That's my jam and I liked how Curtis wrote the relationship between Jay and Leyna. It was almost hard to believe that they could fall back into a relationship after 18 years apart, especially since they were teens when they dated the first time around, but I could see it. What got frustrating was Leyna's insistence that they not talk about why they split the first time around. Don't these people realize they should communicate? (No, they don't, because then where would the story be??) But I rolled with it and read on to see if (or, more accurately, how) the pair could sort things out.

I also wanted to read this one because it was set in a small town around a winery. Small town set stories are another of my favourites, given I grew up in a small town and really like the community aspect so many towns have. Plus, as I mentioned, I live in wine country in Ontario and, well, let's just say I take part in the local offerings quite often. It was really cool to have Jay explain about the winemaking process. It may read as too technical for some people but I really enjoyed learning about how certain grapes grow and what a winemaker needs to consider when growing and taking care of grapes. Some of it I already knew, you pick up a lot living around here and dating a journalist who often talks to folks at wineries, but some was new to me and I liked learning about it.

I really liked reading Forever with You and definitely recommend Barb Curtis' novel to other romance readers. It was fun and sweet and I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the series.

*An ARC of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!