Monday, July 6, 2020

Review: The Heir Affair



It's been over five years since I read Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan's novel The Royal We. I've read hundreds of books since so it's no surprise that I had forgotten many of the plot points from the first book. I did, however, remember absolutely adoring it and know it was one of my favourite books from 2015. The Heir Affair is the long-awaited sequel and one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. I'm not sure it lived up to the hype I had given it but I still really enjoyed the time I spent reading it.

Here's the synopsis:
Making it up the aisle was the easy part: After marrying the heir to the throne, Rebecca “Bex” Porter must survive her own scandals as she adjusts to life in the glamorous British royal family, in this “highly anticipated” follow-up to The Royal We, the “fun and dishy” bestseller and NYT Summer Reading List pick inspired by Will and Kate’s romance (People).
After a scandalous secret turns their fairy-tale wedding into a nightmare, Rebecca “Bex” Porter and her husband Prince Nicholas are in self-imposed exile. The public is angry. The Queen is even angrier. And the press is salivating. Cutting themselves off from friends and family, and escaping the world’s judgmental eyes, feels like the best way to protect their fragile, all-consuming romance.
But when a crisis forces the new Duke and Duchess back to London, the Band-Aid they’d placed over their problems starts to peel at the edges. Now, as old family secrets and new ones threaten to derail her new royal life, Bex has to face the emotional wreckage she and Nick left behind: with the Queen, with the world, and with Nick’s brother Freddie, whose sins may not be so easily forgotten — nor forgiven.
I admit I was under the impression that this novel was Freddie's story. He's the "spare" (the Harry in the authors' royal family) and played a large role in Nick and Bex's lives in the first book. However. The sequel is not told from Freddie's point of view. We're still firmly in the life of Nick and Bex and she tells the story to the reader in first person POV. This wasn't a problem, of course, I like Bex. I just had to quickly adjust my thinking of how this novel was going to go.

And go it does. It clocks in at over 460 pages, just about 10 pages longer than the first book, which I recall being ginormous. It meant I spent a good chunk of a summer Friday afternoon reading the book and still wasn't close to being finished (it's a good time when you get sprung from work early, especially right now). Normally I'm all for a book being long because it means I have more time to spend with the story and the characters. But...I would like it if there weren't tangents that took away from the main story or if the extra pages had been spent tying up some loose ends I think should have been tied. (There's a potential for a third book but given the second one took five years to get to us, I don't know if we'll get a third any time soon.) While I like the large cast of supporting characters and quite enjoyed the spoof on the Great British Bake Off  (or Great British Baking Show as it's known to those in North America), I kind of think that whole part of the book took away from the rest of the story. I think it was to give a fan favourite secondary character their own time to shine but it didn't fully work for me.

The other thing that didn't quite work for me was the big revelation at the end of the novel. Obviously I am not going to tell you what that is because spoilers but it felt extremely far-fetched. Granted, it played with the idea that we really don't know what goes on in the private lives of the British Royal Family. Things are hushed up and we, the peasants general public, will never, ever hear about them. But the way the story line unfolded? I was just kind of like...wtf is even happening and how can they be agreeing to this and be ok with that? If you've read it, you know what I've talking about and I am here for a deep dive conversation if anyone else needs/wants to talk it out.

Other than those things I wasn't super fussy about, the rest of the book was as entertaining, dramatic (in both the best and most bonkers ways - the latter being a positive because I enjoy bonkers when it's done well), heart-wrenching, funny, and clever. 

There were times I was (literally) laughing out loud and times I felt as tied up in knots and anxious as the characters felt. Cocks and Morgan know how to write to get the emotions their characters are feeling off the page and directly into the readers' hearts. 

I absolutely loved that Bex turns Queen Eleanor into a Cubs fan the year they won the World Series. First, it's a hilarious coincidence, and one they reference, that of course the team breaks the curse the year a monarch decides to cheer for them. Second, I just love when baseball is featured in novels especially when it's a female character who's the fan. Third, it's just a whole lovely and hilarious section of the plot that works to elevate and strengthen a few relationships and I adored it.

I also have to point out how amusing it was to have Bex and Nick visit Canada as well as having Eleanor reading a copy of The Globe and Mail, one of our national newspapers. Oh, and the reference to our Prime Minister's hair. It's especially full of life right now given the pandemic! We don't often get to have Canada in such mainstream books so it's always nice to see a slice of my country in my reading material.

If you want a book with all of the feelings in a giant package, The Heir Affair is for you. Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan give readers a new royal story that has every emotion imaginable and a cast of characters who are full of flaws but have, for the most part, good hearts. I'm glad the authors were finally able to give us this sequel and I hope we get another novel sooner rather than later.

*An egalley was provided by the Canadian distributor, Hachette Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!