Monday, June 1, 2020

Review: Undone


Have you ever finished a book and found it only so-so and wondered if you were the problem? Or, more accurately, your current life circumstances? I started Undone while I waited for a flight on the last day of February (remember flying?) and finished it while jetlagged during my week in Edinburgh (remember vacations?). But, then again, I don't know if I would have been especially riveted by Kelly Rimmer's novel even if I hadn't been on a whirlwind trip to Scotland.

Here's the synopsis:
The only vow she’s ever been prepared to make is not to say “I do”
Running a major tech company without breaking a sweat? No problem. But being bridesmaid at her best friend’s wedding is giving Jess Cohen a bad case of the jitters. Maybe that’s because she’ll have to face the groom’s brother, Jake—the man she’s been avoiding for the last two years. Jake, who Jess dumped mercilessly, unable to tell him the truth about her past. Jake, who’s loyal, loving and all wrong for someone who refuses to be tied down. If only Jess’s heart could remember that.
Jake Winton spent four months secretly dating Jess, and the past two years trying—and failing—to forget her. He’d been ready to propose, convinced Jess was every bit as in love with him as he was with her. Now he’s sure their connection is still there, sizzling and undeniable. Whatever she’s holding back, he can handle—if only she’ll trust him with her secrets, her fears and her heart.
Given the way the last three months have gone, I'm having to work to remember exactly what happened in this book. Honestly, that's nothing new but it is kind of indicative of how I felt about this book. I wasn't super invested but I didn't dislike the time I spent reading it. It's a weird place to be for trying to write a review, let me tell you.

It turns out Undone is part of a series. It's one of those ones where you don't necessarily have to read the first ones because each story is about a different couple. In this series, they're all friends and colleagues so the other couples pop up in this one, happily loved up. I don't mind knowing they're having their HEA because, after all, that's what I'm expecting when I start reading these romances. What kind of bugged me about this one, and many other romance series like it, was how I was given enough background information to know something about all the characters but also kind of expected to know exactly what the characters were like. I felt like I was dropped into Jess' life and was trying to play catch up instead of gradually getting to know her like I normally would with a character. Does that make any sort of sense? Did the jetlag really screw with me?

Jess was an intriguing character. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some readers don't like her but I admired her strength and tenacity. She knew what she wanted and was making no apologies for it. Plus, inside she had a heart of gold even if she didn't allow many people to see it. And when you learn more about her past? You have to admire her even more for emerging from that.

Jake, on the other hand, was the quintessential Nice Guy. He was head over heels for Jess but had a lot to learn about how to be the best partner for her.

I will say I'm happy with the way Rimmer wrote Jess and Jake's HEA. I don't want to say too much and give anything away but I will say Happily Ever After can be a lot of different things. It doesn't have to include a ring or wedding or babies. Just because that's your version of happy doesn't mean it is for someone else. I'm glad when authors are true to their characters and allow them the ending they deserve.

If you're a romance reader who is looking for something to pick up right now, Undone may be the book for you. I might recommend reading the others in Kelly Rimmer's series first so you have a full understanding of the dynamics between all the characters.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Harlequin, via NetGalley, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!