Monday, April 27, 2020

Review: Playing House


I had super high hopes for Playing House by Ruby Lang. The premise sounded so cute and it grabbed me right away, plus it was the start of a series so there was potential for so many more cute books. In the end, it was alright but it didn't really wow me.

Here's the synopsis:
Romance blossoms between two city planners posing as newlyweds in this first in a bright new series by acclaimed author Ruby Lang
The last thing Oliver Huang expects to see on the historic Mount Morris home tour is longtime acquaintance Fay Liu bustling up and kissing him hello. He’s happy to playact being a couple to save her from a pushy admirer. Fay’s beautiful, successful and smart, and if he’s being honest, Oliver has always had a bit of a thing for her.
Maybe more than a bit.
Geeking out over architectural details is Oliver and Fay’s shared love language, and soon they’re touring pricey real estate across Upper Manhattan as the terribly faux but terribly charming couple Darling and Olly.
For the first time since being laid off from the job he loved, Oliver has something to look forward to. And for the first time since her divorce, Fay’s having fun.
Somewhere between the light-filled living rooms and spacious closets they’ve explored, this faux relationship just may have sparked some very real feelings. For Oliver and Fay, home truly is where their hearts are.
Reading as Oliver and Fay pretended to date and then got to know each other was my favourite. The relationship was bound to be a good one as soon as they realized they actually had true feelings for each other. Their chemistry was great, even though it took awhile (like most romance books) for them to realize they belonged together.

OK, I may have been wrong...I think the fact that they were going and checking out all these houses and geeking out over architecture was my favourite. I wouldn't say I'm into architecture but I love the idea of wandering around old houses and being able to see the great old bones of a place. Makes me want to look into some historical walks offered by museums in my area!

I think the biggest issue I had was that it was just so short! I think this story would have benefited from being a full length novel instead of a novella. There was so much more potential and I feel like I could have fallen in love with the book and characters had I been given more of their story.

All in all, Playing House was a nice rom com that was ultimately forgettable. If you want something sweet that'll give you an escape, the first book in Ruby Lang's series is something to check out. You'll be entertained enough while reading it and you can move onto the next in the series (Open House) or a whole new book.

*An egalley was provided by the publisher, Carina Press (Harlequin), via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!