Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Review: Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune


Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune was a delightful surprise for me. Roselle Lim's debut novel was a magical family story that has stuck with me - even though I read it months and months ago.

Here's the synopsis:
At the news of her mother's death, Natalie Tan returns home. The two women hadn't spoken since Natalie left in anger seven years ago, when her mother refused to support her chosen career as a chef. Natalie is shocked to discover the vibrant neighborhood of San Francisco's Chinatown that she remembers from her childhood is fading, with businesses failing and families moving out. She's even more surprised to learn she has inherited her grandmother's restaurant.
The neighborhood seer reads the restaurant's fortune in the leaves: Natalie must cook three recipes from her grandmother's cookbook to aid her struggling neighbors before the restaurant will succeed. Unfortunately, Natalie has no desire to help them try to turn things around--she resents the local shopkeepers for leaving her alone to take care of her agoraphobic mother when she was growing up. But with the support of a surprising new friend and a budding romance, Natalie starts to realize that maybe her neighbors really have been there for her all along.
I think some people may be put off by hearing this novel described as magic realism. Not everyone is into  fantasy but I think if you love contemporary stories, you need to read this. Don't let the magic put you off because it adds so, so much to this story. Don't worry - it's not magic like Harry Potter. The magic comes from Natalie's background and I think that is what really makes this novel sing. (Er, can books sing?)

Natalie's story made my heart break. She's grieving the death of her mother - her only parent - and she has a ton of guilt on top of it. She hadn't been home to visit in far too long and she's still harbouring some frustration towards the neighbours for not helping her when she was a child and struggling with her mother's severe agoraphobia. I can't imagine what it would have been like for Natalie - both as a child trying to help her mother and when she returned after her mother's death. Lim really captures the emotions of all her characters so very well.

I really liked reading as Natalie started learning more about herself and her family history. There were so many surprises for her to discover - and a few painful moments along the way - and it was lovely to read. And the way the community came together? Heartwarming. I also liked the little romance Lim wove into the overall story because seeing Natalie find someone who really understood her was wonderful.

The book world is slowly getting better at publishing Own Voices, which makes me happy. I'm a white, straight woman and I've been able to see versions of myself in books for as long as I've been reading. I'm lucky to have had literary role models throughout my life. But that's not the case for so many others. Personally, I am slowly getting better at reading Own Voices books - but I know I still have a lot of work to do. I want to read books that make me learn and expose me to stories and cultures that are different than my own and any I would have known growing up.

And oh my word. This cover. I LOVE IT. The font is shiny and gold in person and the pink pops in the most gorgeous of ways. And the spine is also hot pink with blue lettering. Ugh. Stunning. I can't get over it.

The overall feeling I was left with after finishing Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune was one of delight. Roselle Lim's novel is not perfect but it's one to read. And to stare at because it's so damn beautiful.

*A copy of this novel was provided by the publisher, Penguin Random House Canada, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!