Thursday, October 25, 2018

Review: A Brand New Ending


Like most romance readers, I have tropes I enjoy and tropes I don't. A Brand New Ending, the second book in Jennifer Probst's Stay series, hit so many of the tropes I love and I so enjoyed my time spent reading it.

Here's the synopsis:
Ophelia Bishop was a lovestruck teenage girl when she and Kyle Kimpton chased their dreams to Hollywood. Kyle’s dreams came true. Ophelia’s did not. When Kyle chose his career over their relationship, Ophelia returned home to rural New York to run the family’s B & B—wiser, and more guarded against foolish fantasies. Now Kyle has come crashing back into her life, and all her defenses are down.
Kyle can’t think of a better place to write his latest screenplay than his hometown. After all, that was where he met the heart of his inspiration—his first love. He knows the damage he’s caused Ophelia, and he wants a chance to mend their relationship. If anyone can prove to Ophelia that happy ever afters aren’t only for the movies, it should be him.
As much as Ophelia’s changed, she still has feelings for Kyle. But her heart has been broken before, and she knows that Kyle could run back to Hollywood at any time. She gave up her dreams once, but maybe she can dare to change her own love story…one last time.
I have two favourite tropes and I can't decide between the two which I love more. Luckily, Probst gave them both to me. Small town and second-chance romances are my jam so it's no surprise I adored Ophelia and Kyle's story. These are also cliches that can, well, become just that if they're not done well. I already knew Probst would nail the small-town charm because I fell in love with the Robin's Nest B&B in the first book of the series, The Start of Something Good (you can check out my full review here if you missed it). Part of what made the setting so delightful in the first book was Ophelia's charm, which came through even though the first book was about her brother. In her story, you realize how big her heart really is. Sometimes those kinds of characters can be a pushover but Ophelia has spunk and I adored her. (It's also why her brother, Ethan, calls her Tinkerbell - she has the same sass as the fairy.) She's just such a wonderful person - and kudos to Probst for writing such great characters - that you cannot help but root for her and hope she gets the Happily Ever After she deserves.

And Kyle? Definitely deserves her. I would say he was mostly to blame for their relationship imploding (not to say Ophelia was innocent but he was in the wrong) but Probst, again, wrote him so well that you couldn't hate him. He had his reasons and they make sense when you remember he was a 20 year old guy trying to make a name for himself in Hollywood. That's not an easy thing to do. (I assume. Since I've never been a 20 year old guy nor have I even been to California.) Another thing that's not easy? Realizing when you're in the wrong and working your ass off to fix the problems you created. Kyle takes a little while to figure out why Ophelia was so hurt and why she left him but once he does? He works hard to make sure she realizes he's sorry and refuses to fall into the same trap again. Plus I just loved that he's a writer. (A third trope I enjoy!)

Kyle and Ophelia really fought their attraction. Actually. That's not strictly true. Ophelia fought it. Kyle was pretty open with his plan to seduce her. (Another thing I loved? He didn't push her in a skeezy way. He respects her so much.) But once she realized she still had some sort of feelings for him? Hoo boy. Fireworks. Probst knows how to write sweet and sexy. My favourite.

A Brand New Ending, which just published this week, was such a lovely read. Jennifer Probst has written a story full of heart, heat, and hope. It's the perfect book to pick up when you need a pick-me-up and will have you swooning and falling in love, just like the characters in this story.

*A copy of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributor, Thomas Allen & Son, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!