Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Unique Books

Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday was a tricky one. What books do I find unique? This is tricky because not everyone will agree with what unique means. And what is unique to one person might not be to another because the first hasn't read the same books the second has. Does that make sense? So, in my list, there may be other books like them out there that I just haven't encountered yet. Feel free to leave suggestions for similar sounding books in the comments! In this list (of eleven because that's just how it happened) I've only included books I've read in the last two years (with one exception). What are some of the unique books you've read? This list is in chronological order, from earliest read to last and the links lead to my review.


Arranged - Catherine McKenzie
This is my exception to the read in 2013 or 2014 rule. This is also my very favourite McKenzie novel. I think it's unique because of the main story line...arranged marriages through a service, like a dating service. But more permanent. Sounds bizarre but this is an amazing novel.

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
I've read fantasy before but the story and world Morgenstern comes up with...just, wow.

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson
This was a totally different take, I think, on a reincarnation story. It's so good.

Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
The location of this novel played a large role in its uniqueness for me. I can't recall ever reading a book that takes place in Singapore and I liked reading about it.

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
This whole book was unlike anything I had ever encountered before but it was mostly main character Don who made things unique. He was a socially awkward (likely undiagnosed Aspberger's) professor who was looking to meet a wife that met all of his requirements. This was one of those books that I didn't expect to love but I did.

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
There are all sorts of "shy girl starts college and then makes friends" stories out there but I found that Rowell's character Cath was unlike any I had read about before. She wasn't just shy. She was extremely introverted and stressed about all of her new surroundings. It was refreshing to read about a girl who really didn't have it all together.


Just One Day/Just One Year - Gayle Forman
I adored this series. I find this one unique because there's a romantic element to the story but the love interests barely spend any time together in the books.

The Orenda - Joseph Boyden
This is the only book I've read about Native Canadians. I'm sure there are others out there but I think all the accolades this one has received is warranted. It's real, which means it's brutal, and it really made me think about what life was like when the Jesuit missionaries came to, what would eventually be, Canada.

Don't Even Think About It - Sarah Mlynowski
A bunch of teens get ESP from a flu shot. Sounds totally hokey but, oh my goodness, it's so much fun to read.

A Mad, Wicked Folly - Sharon Biggs Waller (review to come soon!)
This was a really great historical fiction YA novel. It dealt with the suffragette movement in England and a young girl trying to receive an education in art. It was interesting and a great read.

Never Have I Ever: My Life (So Far) Without a Date - Katie Heaney
There are other memoirs out there like this, I'm sure, but this new one had a voice that is equally as new, as well as being unique. Has anyone ever been this candid about not ever having a boyfriend?

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant list!! I don't think I could have even picked any better "unique books!" Completely agree with everything you have said about them too!

    Side note: Every time I see the covers of Fangirl and Just One Day/Just One Year I feel a pang of book withdrawal. I wish I could read them again for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read The Night Circus and Life after Life myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!