Thursday, May 19, 2011

Something Old. Something New. Something Borrowed! Something Blue?

Just in case you couldn't figure it out from the title of this blog post, I just went to see Something Borrowed on Tuesday. I read this book eons ago and have been looking forward to the adaptation ever since I heard it was being made into a movie. I've been meaning to reread it but I decided to wait until after seeing the movie, otherwise I knew I would be irked with any slight changes or omissions. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed the movie!


Some observations and notes:

  • Kate Hudson was perfection as Darcy. I have to admit that I strongly disliked Darcy when I read Something Borrowed. So much so that I was actually not looking forward to reading Something Blue because it focuses more on her story. I think Kate Hudson was great because everyone loves her, but she can play the gorgeous, self centred, "I'm the best", sassy kind of girl so well that you want to dislike her, but you know there's a good person somewhere inside her. Anyone else feel that way about Darcy and Hudson's portrayal of her? 
  • Ginnifer Goodwin was an amazing Rachel. Intelligent girl next door who really has no idea how gorgeous she is. I'm a little sad that we would see less of Goodwin in the sequel because I really liked her as Rachel.
  • While Colin Eggelsfield is definitely an attractive guy, I would rather marry John Krasinski (even though he's already taken...that and I have no chance of meeting him!) Humour will win me over almost every time.
They're even wearing a similar suit at the premiere!

  • I loved the cameo by Emily Giffin. Those of you who watched it...did you catch it? She was the one sitting on the bench reading Something Blue who is offended when Marcus starts talking about masturbating (and can you blame her? I'd be a little weirded out too!)

  • I also appreciated the heads up from Emily Giffin's Twitter that there was an extra little scene after the credits. They set the sequel up perfectly! Kicking yourself for not staying? Go see it again! :)
  • Wondering why there's a ? after Something Blue in the title of this post? Giffin's been rallying her fans to make sure they see the movie and get friends and friends of friends to go see Something Borrowed. The more people who see it, the more money the money people make, and that will convince them to make Something Blue!
  • I now feel better about my curly hair/straight bangs situation that I have going on. I don't look as good as Goodwin, but hey...I'm ok with that.
  • Speaking of hair...there's one scene, quite a pivotal one too, where Rachel leaves the bar and it's pouring rain. Next scene she's getting out of the cab in New York in the same dress...AND HER HAIR IS PERFECT! Nope. Sorry Hollywood, you fail. That never happens to girls with curly hair. Rain = death by poodle head.
  • I really want to reread all of Giffin's books this summer. You know, in between all the other books I have to read. I can't wait for her new one to be released!
  • I may have embarrassed my sister during the movie...anyone who has read the book would have known what was coming but there was a scene during the movie that almost everyone in the theatre reacted to. And I may or may not have whispered (a little too loudly) "Haven't any of you read the book?!?" Oops. Can I help it if I'm a totally book worshipper and will always read the book before seeing the movie?
Overall, I really enjoyed this movie and will buy it the day it is released on DVD. What did you guys think of it?

No idea what movie I'm talking about? Check out the trailer!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!