Friday, February 16, 2024

Review: A Real Somebody


To know me is to know I love historical fiction. I’m pretty basic in my usual historical fiction tastes, tending to read all the WWI and WWII fiction, so I like to branch out every once and awhile. And when I find a Canadian historical fiction author writing a book set in Canada? I’m even more interested. I was intrigued by Deryn Collier’s novel A Real Somebody because it was inspired by her aunt and took place in post-war Montreal. Unfortunately, the book did not thrill me and I eventually gave up reading it.

Here’s the book’s description:

Montreal, 1947. To support her once-prosperous family, June Grant joins a steno pool in a prestigious advertising firm. For June, it’s hard to imagine having the kind of life her parents want—the kind of life her sister Daisy has, with a well-off husband and two precocious kids.
But Daisy might not be a picture-perfect housewife after all. As June makes her own waves in the advertising world, she probes a hidden side of her sister’s life.
June’s discoveries upend everything she thought she knew about her sister while challenging her own inner conflict about pursuing her dreams versus living up to expectations. Being a dutiful housewife might mean something else entirely.
Based on the true story of the author’s aunt, A Real Somebody charts the journey of a talented young writer who dares to break the conventions of her time during one pivotal season of her life.
I was really intrigued by the look at advertising in Montreal in the late 40s (I work in comms, of course I’m going to geek out over a look at advertising!) but it was such a small part of the story that even that couldn’t convince me to finish reading the book.

I’m not sure if the reader was expected to know who June Grant was because I certainly didn’t. So, because I had no idea who she was, I wasn’t sure why I was supposed to care about June, the fictional character. And, let me tell you, it sucks to not care about a character’s life when you know they’re supposed to have been based on a real person - the author’s aunt, no less. I’m sure part of my frustration at June came from unintentionally putting my modern views on her life in the 40s. Times were different, I get it, but I was still annoyed at the treatment of women, among other things.

I knew I wasn’t going to finish reading it when I had no desire to get back to the story. I tried to skim and read the last couple of chapters but the story seemed to have veered off in such a bizarre way and, even allowing for the fact that I didn’t read the whole thing, it ended strangely and abruptly.

All that said, Collier’s writing wasn’t one of the reasons I stopped reading. I would be willing to give another of her novels a go if it seemed like a topic that would interest me.

A Real Somebody was, unfortunately, a real miss for me. I wanted to enjoy Deryn Collier’s novel because it sounded like something I could really have a good time reading but the story completely missed the mark for me.

*A copy of this novel was provided by the Canadian distributors, Firefly, in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!