Saturday, April 21, 2012

Awesome Things


A little while ago I wrote a review of The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. This book was a compilation of some of the posts on Neil's blog "1000 Awesome Things." Why am I mentioning this again? Well, after 4 years of writing his blog, the final awesome thing was finally announced. Ready for it?


This got me thinking...what would I want it to be? Immediately my thoughts went to books. To me, pretty much anything to do with books is awesome.

I've thought this ever since I learned what books were...at least, that's what my mom says. I learned to read early and some of my happiest memories involved going on trips to the library in my home town. My first job was actually at said library. I worked there all four years of high school. My first summer job out of university? A bookstore. And if you're a regular reader of this blog you'll know that I still read. A lot. Some may say too much. I ignore those people. :)

I like reading because it transports me to another world. I love getting wrapped up in the lives of the characters in the story. It provides a bit of an escape when you need a break from your insane or boring life.



There is always something to suit your needs, too. Humour? Check. Romance? Check. Books filled with pictures of nothing but polar bears? Check. (Hey, you never know what you're in the mood for.) Point is, there are SO MANY book options that no one should ever say "I couldn't find anything I wanted to read." Look harder - sometimes that's half the fun!

I love talking about books with people. I will happily discuss books with anyone who wants to and some who don't. I'm happiest when someone stops at my desk at work to talk about book recommendations. (Yes, I'm aware of what that says about my day job, haha) I've just recently joined a book club and I'm really looking forward to our next meeting. Why? Because we will talk about a book that I've just become obsessed with and desperately need to talk about more (The Hunger Games, in case you're curious). As I have learned since starting this blog over a year ago there is a much larger book lover community than I had previously thought. Libraries and book stores used to be the easiest place to find like minded people. Now? We have the world wide web. There are TONS of book lovers out there who love many different genres and are just as eager to talk about books as I am. That, my friends, is awesome.



What about the awesomeness of libraries? They are a place to go to find books. That in itself is awesome. What makes it better is that you can take them home and enjoy them...FOR FREE. You didn't like the book? No big deal. You borrowed it and it didn't cost you anything. You ending up enjoying it and now absolutely adore the author? Now you know to pick up their latest book at the store when it's released - and perhaps all of their previous works as well! Wandering through the stacks can be an awesome experience too. You're just walking through, minding your own business, and BAM! A book jumps out at you, you take it off the shelf, and realize you've just found your next great read. Awesome.

I could really keep going on about the awesomeness of reading and libraries and all things bookish but I'm going to let you come up with some of your own ideas.

What would YOU pick for the #1 awesome thing?

Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!