Friday, January 26, 2024

Review: Never Blow a Kiss


I think many of us can say Bridgerton is the reason we started reading historical romances, whether we first discovered the series twenty years ago or five or maybe even just last week. I know I didn’t read much before I “met” the family but, since then, I’ve tried out a number of series to see if I could find another that intrigued me as much, or more. I’ve found a few gems so I was happy to try Never Blow a Kiss, the first book in Lindsay Lovise’s new series Secret Society of Governess Spies.

Here’s the book’s description:
The utterly charming Emily Leverton has a dark past and is determined to leave it behind in her respectable new role as a governess. But when she is recruited by a secret network of governesses who spy on the ton, it may just be a way to redeem the dark secrets of her past.
Straddling the worlds of the ton and the working class, as an ex-solider turned railroad magnate, Zach hunts killers for the Metropolitan Police by day and dutifully attends balls at night. In neither world has he met a woman with the brazenness to mock him. So when a saucy governess blows him a kiss he is determined to catch her, never expecting that when he does he will find an intelligent, quirky woman hiding more than her true name. As Zach peels back the layers of Emily’s lies, he falls for the street-wise woman who handles a dagger like a pro and kisses like a mistress. But when his affair with Emily intertwines with his hunt for a killer, he discovers Emily is hiding an explosive secret—one that could destroy them both.
I flew through this novel but not necessarily because I was loving it. It was fine - it kept my interest (mostly - I definitely skimmed a little) and I was invested in the characters but it was, well, just fine. The mystery was weak, I have no idea how accurate it was historically, but it was the romance that kept me coming back to the story. We’ll get back to that!

First, the mystery. I like when historical romances have an element of crime and intrigue because it usually means the female characters are no simpering heroines. I also just like a good mystery. This…was not a good mystery. I don’t know if I just stopped paying attention to the nuances (if there were any) but I feel like there were a few holes in the mystery and the reveal of the serial killer. Justice was served but my modern sensibilities may have expected a different wrap up to the mystery.

I really did love the characters though. Even when I thought they were being boneheaded (we’ve all felt that about romance leads, have we not?). I respected that Emily wanted to keep some things close to her chest though I felt her Big Secret took too long to be revealed. I can see that Lovise was going for shock value but it was a bit lost on me as I was way over it by the time it came around for the Third Act Breakup. That frustration aside, I respected Emily and how she had been able to get herself out of a hellish situation. I loved her for many of the same reasons Zach did - she was smart and feisty. Zach had a rough childhood as well and now his vast fortune meant the ton couldn’t ignore him (but they’d ignore his background, of course). I liked that you could tell he wasn’t letting his obscene amount of money go to his head and he tried to keep busy by helping out with the newly formed police force.

Now, the romance! Because I cared about the couple as people, it was so easy to become invested in their relationship. Considering Zach had to do a lot of encouraging and persuading to convince Emily that sex could, in fact, be pleasurable for both parties, this book was steamier than I expected. It was sexy without being over the top with a few scenes that would have ladies of the ton fluttering their fans and fainting dead away. Zach was not going to push Emily at all and he wasn’t going to do a thing without her explicit consent and Emily could tell she’d be safe to explore the “tingly” feelings with him. And that mutual respect made things a hell of a lot sexier.

Never Blow a Kiss was Lindsay Lovise’s first novel and it was a fine first book. I’m not entirely sure I’m intrigued enough in the series and her writing to continue but I think historical romance fans might still consider picking this one up. It’s a quick read with characters you’ll love so it might be perfect to curl up with on a chilly winter weekend.

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Forever, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!