Thursday, December 7, 2023

Review: The Mystery Guest


The Maid
was one of my favourite books in 2022. Nita Prose wrote an entertaining mystery novel that delighted me, because of both the story and unique heroine she created. I was, therefore, really excited to read The Mystery Guest to see what Molly was up to next. It was a fine novel but really only that - fine. I was never super eager to pick it up and that left me disappointed. Were my expectations too high? Oh, very likely. The mystery had enough of a twist to keep me interested enough but it wasn’t as amazing as I expected.

Here’s the book’s description:
Molly Gray is not like anyone else. With her flair for cleaning and proper etiquette, she has risen through the ranks of the glorious five-star Regency Grand Hotel to become the esteemed Head Maid. But just as her life reaches a pinnacle state of perfection, her world is turned upside down when J.D. Grimthorpe, the world-renowned mystery author, drops dead—very dead—on the hotel’s tea room floor.
When Detective Stark, Molly's old foe, investigates the author’s unexpected demise, it becomes clear that this death was murder most foul. Suspects abound, and everyone wants to who killed J.D. Grimthorpe? Was it Lily, the new Maid-in-Training? Or was it Serena, the author’s secretary? Could Mr. Preston, the hotel’s beloved doorman, be hiding something? And is Molly really as innocent as she seems?
As the case threatens the hotel’s pristine reputation, Molly knows she alone holds the key to unlocking the killer's identity. But that key is buried deep in her past—because long ago, she knew J.D. Grimthorpe. Molly begins to comb her memory for clues, revisiting her childhood and the mysterious Grimthorpe mansion where she and her dearly departed Gran once worked side by side. With the entire hotel under investigation, Molly must solve the mystery post-haste. If there's one thing Molly knows for sure, it's that dirty secrets don't stay buried forever...
I wonder if part of my issue was that Molly was an entertaining and lovely enough character for one book but I don’t know if her quirky personality was something I really needed to read about for another book. And I just didn’t know that until reading the second book. And I use the word quirky intentionally. Many of us speculated - perhaps wrongly - when The Maid was released about whether or not Molly was on the spectrum. Naturally reading a neurodivergent character doesn’t matter to most of us, but I think what was bothersome, to me anyway, was that we seemed to be jumping to conclusions. And we probably shouldn’t have been.

One weird thing that nagged at me was that at the end of The Maid (this isn’t a major spoiler but look away if you hate all spoilers of all kinds), Molly ends up with a boyfriend. (This is not the weird thing! Yay finding happiness in a romantic relationship!) But Prose had him visiting family for the entirety of the second novel. What was the point of having Molly date someone if he wasn’t going to be present in the story? It shouldn’t have mattered but for some reason it really did.

This story flashes back and forth from present day back to when Molly was a young girl and going to work with her grandmother, who had also been a maid, at a fancy house. While this backstory did have an impact on the present day story, I felt it took a little too much time to get to the point. It just seemed, to start, that Prose was making sure we knew how hard Molly’s time at school was (it was brutal and left me feeling uncomfortable and really sad for young Molly). But so what? We already could have assumed that. But eventually I could see what Prose was setting up and I was kept guessing right until the very end.

The mystery, which did keep me guessing, wasn’t the most intricate. I was still entertained and a little surprised by the ending so I consider that a win when it comes to mysteries. (The reveal at the end about the connection between Molly and another character, though? That was not at all a surprise.) With the main mystery, I did like that just when I thought I had it figured out, there was another little nugget thrown in.

All in all, The Mystery Guest wasn’t a winner for me but Nita Prose’s latest novel was still a good enough read. My expectations were probably a little too high, since I loved The Maid SO much and that impacted my enjoyment. I still think it’s worth a read if you really liked The Maid but just maybe keep your own expectations a little lower than mine were. I hope others like it more than I did!

*An egalley of this novel was provided by the publisher, Penguin Random House Canada, via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration. All opinions are honest and my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!