Thursday, September 13, 2012

Just Finished: Sex, Life, & Hannah: Volume 2


I was away on vacation at the beginning of September and thought it was the perfect time to dive into the second volume of Sex, Life, and Hannah series by Dorata Skrzypek. I read the first a few months ago (my review is here if you're interested) and while it didn't rate at the top of my list, I was genuinely curious about what was going to happen in Hannah's life. As it turned out, I felt the same way about the Spring Season volume.

Here's the synopsis of Volume 2: 
Hannah feels him stir. Holding an ice pack to her swollen face and stuck in a hospital elevator is not how she envisioned running into The Ex. She assesses the situation: Is she still in love with him? Is he still in love with her? They start kissing, then petting, then heavy petting, until she can feel his growing hardness against the inside of her thigh...
The Spring Season is a continuation of Hannah’s fall from perfect twenty-something grace. Hannah’s run-in with The Ex is more about icing her nose than melting her heart. She seems to be making all the wrong decisions about all the right men; rejecting the doctor who makes her vagina quiver for Mr. Smyth who turns out to be tall, dark, and sophisticated...with just one problem. The unexpected twists would drive any woman to the opposite side of nice girl, which is exactly what happens to Hannah. But a bad girl can have some fun along the way.
Let me start off by saying that I don't consider myself a prude. I love the ladies of Sex and the City and I did read the Fifty Shades trilogy. However, there's something about Hannah and her friends that just makes me cringe when I read about their escapades! Perhaps it's because I think there should be some mystery between friends. I really don't need to know the specifics from my BFF's night with her boyfriend, thank you very much. This shouldn't have been such a big deal, and it wasn't really when I read the first volume, but I think the over-sexualized content of this novella sort of turned me off (wow...that really makes me sound like I'm 25 years older than I am...). Do I think others would enjoy it? Most likely, yes. If you also enjoy the tell all nature of SATC, give Hannah a try.

I still wondered why Hannah was so set on The Ex. He seems like a bit of an idiot. Sure, she did spend a good chunk of time in a relationship with him but if something's not meant to be it shouldn't be forced. Right? Or does that sound too self help-y? :) She gets the chance to spend some time with some great guys but throws it away for a non-relationship with an older guy who doesn't actually want to be in a committed relationship. It was hard to read at parts because I wanted to realize what was best for her but at the same time I knew she had to go through these growing pains to, well, grow up.

There's not a whole lot I can add to my review of volume one. Hannah still has crazy neighbours and friends, she's still trying to find The One, and wants to figure out what's in store in the future for her career. I still also thought the format was pretty neat - being laid out like a magazine. There were some flow issues though and I don't know if that was more to do with the way the book was set up or with the actual writing.

Like I said, I wasn't crazy about the book as a whole but I really do want to find out how Hannah's life all turns out in the end. Does she get back together with The Ex? Does Mr. Smyth decide to make a commitment? Is she finally going to find her dream career? I'm looking forward to seeing how things work out for Hannah so I'm glad I have Volume 3 waiting for me on my bookshelf!

Happy reading :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review Kaley! I always enjoy reading what people like and don't in the SLH series. I am prepping to write the last and final book in this series, so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!