Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just Finished: Valentine Delights - Be Mine


First, let me just say that this review of Valentine Delights: Be Mine was supposed to go up on Tuesday, you know, Valentine's Day. Due to a ton of crazy things happening in my life I haven't had time until today. So, find your time machine and put yourself back into a Valentine's Day mood, ok? Ok.

Oh, Valentine's Day. It's a holiday that draws oh so much criticism. Is it a Hallmark holiday that only makes businesses richer? Or is it a nice excuse to spoil your loved one, whether it be with roses or breakfast in bed? I always loved giving out and getting Valentines in elementary school and then I was the resident candy heart giver outer starting in high school and carrying on through university. Personally, I don't do much of anything for Valentine's Day. Part of that could be the fact that my boyfriend and I have hardly ever been in the same city for the holiday in the almost seven years we've been dating and part could be that I'm not one who needs all the fancy schmancy romance stuff. I think spending the night together doing whatever you love doing is the best way to celebrate. And there should be chocolate. Lots of chocolate :)

Now that you know a little bit more about me and my thoughts on V-Day, let's get moving on the review!

Here's a quick little synopsis of the stories in this anthology, from Goodreads:

The Coroner’s Heart by Jillian Chantal
Making a Valentine’s Day candy heart from Jell-o is easy for this coroner, performing an autopsy on a real heart is even easier, but what happens when her own heart is at risk? 
Latte Love by Jennifer Daiker
When Charlie's secret admirer orders more than just a steamy latte this Valentine's Day, the secrets have never been sweeter. 
Change Of Heart by Liberty Blake
After the night they spent in the hot tub, Melody believed her new man wanted a relationship, but now it was Valentine's Day and not even a phone call. Did he have a Change of Heart?

As I mentioned in my recent review of  Snowbound Hearts (also published by Still Moments Publishing), I really like when anthologies have a theme. Obviously this one was all about Valentine's Day (aren't you glad I spelled that out for you?). I have to say that I didn't like Valentine Delights quite as much as Snowbound Hearts but I still enjoyed reading the three stories in this collection. I didn't have an overwhelming favourite story this time either so I'm just going to give some quick thoughts on each story.

When I read "The Coroner's Heart" I had a mix of TV characters in my head when I was picturing the coroner. It was a mix of Abby from NCIS, Brennan and Cam from Bones, and Lanie from Castle. Kind of amusing, right? I liked this story because it was a case of working with someone and then suddenly realizing that there was a romantic connection there.

"Latte Love" featured a secret admirer and I really liked that. I was just as curious and intrigued as Charlie and couldn't wait too find out who had been sending her such sweet gifts!

"Change of Heart" is an example of why communication is key. Note to the guys: always find out why your girl doesn't like celebrating Valentine's Day. Is it because she truly doesn't like it or is it because she's never had a good experience with it? Sweet (and steamy!) ending to this one.

All in all, I was happy reading Valentine Delights: Be Mine and I will pay attention to other themed anthologies that Still Moments Publishing comes out with. Want to check this one out for yourself? You can get it from the publisher's website here or on Smashwords.

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day and had lots and lots of delicious chocolate! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reviewing Valentine Delights: Be Mine. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading many more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!