Sunday, February 12, 2012

February Chick Lit Challenge Read: J'adore New York


J'Adore New York by Isabelle Lafleche was one of those books that I had seen on the shelf at the bookstore for ages but just never got around to picking up. The cover was what got me - the pink really pops so it was hard not to notice it. I ended up winning this copy when the book was being released in the US (yep, us Canadians had early access to this one as it was published here in 2010) so I was happy to finally have the chance to read it. While it wasn't exactly what I was expecting, I still really enjoyed reading it.

Here's the synopsis from Goodreads:

Offered the chance to transfer to her law firm's New York City office, stylish Parisian lawyer Catherine Lambert jumps at the opportunity--a fashion devotee with her finger on the pulse of style, she sets her sights on conquering Manhattan's high-flying worlds of glamour, law, and love tout de suite. But soon, the non-stop New York minute filled with monster bosses, lecherous clients, and vindictive secretaries begins to take its toll. That is, until one handsome and powerful client begins to change her world for the better...only to throw it all into jeopardy with one surprising request. Perfect for fans of "Bridget Jones's Diary," "The Devil Wears Prada," and "Sex in the City," Isabelle Lafleche's breakout novel "J'adore New York " is a rollercoaster of struggle and romance from the city where dreams come true.
The story really focused on Catherine's career and I think that's why I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Lawyers have no time for anything other than work so all of her romantic involvements and friendships are with other lawyers or people somehow connected to her through law. All the drama led back to her office which was ok but I think I would have liked a little more outside life in the story.

Even though I wasn't totally in love with this book I still found myself desperately needing to find out what was going to happen with Catherine. I could not turn the pages fast enough so I could read what was going to happen next. I think this has everything to do with how Lafleche wrote Catherine's story. Her writing hooked me and I couldn't get enough. I loved reading about Catherine so much and I am so happy that there's a sequel coming (J'Adore Paris for those who are curious). I can't wait until it's released!

I think many others will enjoy Lafleche's debut novel - especially those who like chick lit but sometimes want it to be a little more in depth. This book focuses on romance and fashion (Catherine's French, what do you expect?) but also on struggles in the working world and how to navigate life as a lawyer. It's got a little bit of everything and I really liked that.

This was my second read for the Chick Lit Plus Challenge. I'm loving that this challenge is letting me get to the books that have been sitting on my shelf for ages! Overall, I really did like reading J'Adore New York and I will be anxiously waiting to read Isabelle Lafleche's next novel.

Bonne lecture! :)


2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!