Thursday, March 3, 2011

Glitz, Glamour, and...Argyle?

Oh, the Oscars. I've been watching them (usually alone) and choosing my own picks for the last few years. Sometimes one of my roommate's would watch them with me, but this year I decided I was having a party! It's the first time that I've had my own place and a lot of friends available in the city to come watch with me.

Now, you're probably wondering where the heck the argyle comes in to this Oscar party. My living room has an argyle wall...yep...and it is amazing. And yes, it was a lot of work and I love my mom for doing it for me! My best friend loves it too and way back in the fall suggested that I have an argyle theme party. Once awards season started I had a light bulb moment. Why not combine the two? So I did :)

I threw myself into the planning of this party (if you recall from my post on Happy Ever After, I thought I might want to be a wedding planner so it shouldn't be a surprise that I love throwing parties). It was a small affair, partly because of space and partly because of available possible attendees, but I thought it was pretty damn perfect - though I suppose I'm biased. I sent out ballots to my girls, got all sorts of candy, and assembled wicked awesome swag bags. Observe these photos of the highlights of the night:

My sister's Amazing Cake; Swag Bags and Candy; Score Cards for Dresses; Me with a "Fizztini" 
Isn't my sister's cake great? Not only did it look fantastic (took her three hours!) but it was also delicious. The "Fizztini" was also my sister's creation. She had to create a mocktail for her mixology class and she got a great mark since she created such a tasty drink. In case you're curious and want to try it out, this is what's in it: Sprite, Peach/Mango fizzy drink (from Zehrs/Valu Mart here in Canada), white grape juice, and vodka. Delish. I'm also very impressed with my swag bags, as I coloured the argyle pattern myself. *pats self on back* I was so happy that my friends liked them and their special prizes as well. Each bag had notepads and notebooks with their initial, and a magnet picture frame (complete with a picture of us, of course). Each girl also got a little something extra, personalized to them. These included a colouring book, teeny bottle of vodka, and scrapbook supplies. I figured if the celebrities were getting great swag bags, my friends should too! Enough bragging about my awesome party...onto the main event!

I did alright with my picks, but I'm annoyed I didn't trust my gut and pick The King's Speech to win Best Picture and Best Director. Oh well. In total I got 11 of the 24 right...not bad really. Haven't seen that one yet, but am looking forward to watching it eventually. Of the Best Picture nominees I had watched The Kids Are All Right, Inception, The Social Network, and Toy Story 3. All great films, and yes, I cried watching Toy Story 3 and I do not usually cry at movies! I'm also looking forward to watching Black Swan and, I think, 127 Hours. It might be painful at times but I think it'd be worth it to watch. What did you guys think of the winners? Pretty predictable, wasn't it? Thoughts on the hosts? I love Anne Hathaway and thought she was adorable as ever. James Franco didn't help too much, but he was probably very nervous. Bad call, I think, in having a nominated actor also be a presenter. I'm happy that Natalie Portman won best actress (and how cute was she, all pregnant and glowing?) and am beyond excited that Colin Firth won for best actor.

And, of course, the most important part of the evening...the Red Carpet! There were some very questionable dresses - what the h was up with all the one shoulder dresses, especially on Mark Ruffalo's wife??? Some dresses we couldn't quite decide on - Anne Hathaway's red carpet bustle-riffic dress, and Amy Adams' sparkly high necked wonder with the emerald bling. We loved Mila Kunis in the lovely lilac, and the tangerine dress on the slim and gorgeous Jennifer Hudson. Check out Cosmo's website, as they had a lot of the same favourites as us. However, our favourite dress of the entire night?


The adorable Hailee Steinfeld! How cute is this fourteen year old? Perfect age appropriate dress. We couldn't get over the sparkle, the headband, and the hairdo. So sweet.

Overall, we all had an awesome evening. I'm so glad I was finally able to have an Oscar party and that some of my best friends were able to enjoy it with me. Thanks for coming ladies! Next year we'll have a snazzy party :)

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there... wearing Argyle! Looked great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an attendee to this party I may also be bias, however I had a really fun time! It was my first time ever watching the Oscars...Never usually do as they tend to drag on and on and I most of the films I never see/hear about. Looking forward to watching quite a few from this year though! Thanks for hosting such a great party! Looking forward to the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just remember all of us little people if you end up as a world famous Oscar party planner okay? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!